• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

failing equipment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

failing equipment

started a contract and spent the first 2 weeks trying to get necessary applications installed on the workstation, then once this was half acheived, the workstation had to be decommissioned due to it being to old and out of spec.

surely this is ****ed? the contract states that the client would supply necessary equipment for the supplier to fulfil work duties.

ive spent the past 2 weeks and going into the 3rd week, still requiring access to corporate applications and waiting on a new workstation.

would normally walk out of the job, but need the money.

if anybody asks me about ir35, then im gonna hit them.

plus im on a days notice!!

damn cheek.
    Last edited by el duder; 30 April 2006, 10:48.

Go out and buy a new laptop, bring it in to work and use it.

Then submit an invoice for the laptop, as tools necessary to do your job.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

err, i have my own laptop.

u would think an investment bank would have enough money to make sure that there workstations are uptodate?

i can just see the look on IT security as i walk into the office with me laptop and try to connect to the corporate network and apps...

dont make me laugh.

its a joke. and its easy money. but its stressing me out all the same, especially when the pm is on yer back to deliver the work.

Comment

There's nothing worse than a contractor with failing equipment. That's what the missus tells me anyway

Comment

I'm having one like that. I was paid a significant amount of wonga the other day to sit on my arse and wait for someone else to install Visual Studio. Then they had to give the desk and workstation back to it's rightful owner and do it again elsewhere.

You're honouring your side of the contract - if they can't then it's their problem. If the PM is on your arse, document it on a REAL bit of paper and send a copy to him and his senior or your rep at the company.
          Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Honestly, some people.. This is part of Life - and a day's notice? Brill! ..and you might need to use your own equipment?? Even Briller!!

Now repeat after me "Outside IR35, outside IR35, outside...".

Don't get stressed, chill - it's the client's cack-up, not yours...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

My laptop is available for use on any contract which I get. I see it as being part of my outside IR35 thing. If the client does not want me to use my own equipment then I will use their alternative. On my current role I have my laptop and the one the client gave me. Both get carted to and from the site each day, which is a pain, and there have been times when I have had to use my own machine because theirs was not up to spec or didn't have the correct software on it.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I spent most of the first day on my current role twidling my thumbs waiting for somebody in the US to create a login for me.

My contract with the agency says I must provide my own equipment if required, but I'm not sure if the client knows about that. I would think for intellectual property and security reasons clients wouldn't want you using your own equipment.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It depends

If I'm presenting or don't need access to networked drives I'll use me own...
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I sympathise. I have a problem with failing equipment these days. Oh, computers!
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X