• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will you be paying for F1?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will you be paying for F1?

I wont. Then again I am in Germany so its terrestrial.

Looks like the SKY/BBC deal is worse than first thought. Not only do you need SKY, but you will also have to subscribe to a PPV F1 channel.

BBC and Sky reveal F1 coverage plans - Yahoo! Eurosport
    Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Nobody's said it's a PPV F1 channel; it's part of Sky Sports as far as I know.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Nobody's said it's a PPV F1 channel; it's part of Sky Sports as far as I know.
      That is what I thought till I read the YAHOO report (click the link).
      Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

I think the plan is to put it on Sky Sports, but also to set up a Freeview £10/month channel for those who dont want sky.

I won't be paying for it though, I'll be getting a German satellite dish and watching it on RTL with 5 live for commentary.
        "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Theoretically you do pay for it via sponsorship and advertising. If those companies sponsoring and advertising it didn't then their products would surely be cheaper. BTW, the terrestial German F1 is okay but tends to go to ad breaks when something good happens (its RTL), I'm lucky as I also have German Sky which doesn't, but then again I only ever watch the start to see if there's any crashes. The DTM and ADAC GT3 masters are much better (shown on ARD and Kabel 1 respectively, both terrestial.)
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

No I won't be paying.

Comment

Some points:
              The BBC will not broadcast its first live race until the third round of the championship in China
              Whoa, I was sure they promised we'd get first, last and Silverstone for sure.
              At the races that are not being broadcast live on the BBC, there will be a highlights package shown later in the day.
              For the European races this will be a 90-minutes programme broadcast at 5.30pm, while for the events that take place in the Far East there will be a two-hour programme shown at 2pm.
              Those sound almost like full re-runs of the races, like BBC currently do for races early in the morning. Which is no massive pain for me, if I can avoid finding the results.

Also - you can already get SkySports on Freeview as a paid top-up can't you? So are they launching a cut-down version just for F1, or is F1 going on a new Sky channel so there is room for it alongside football and so on?

I have Freeview (SD) and Freesat (HD), no intention to get Sky...
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

An announcement about its line-up will be made after the season, with current commentator Martin Brundle poised to make the switch to Sky to work alongside David Croft.
                Balls, he is one of the best things about the BBC coverage (which is uniformly excellent IMHO). So DC will be the lead commentator?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Balls, he is one of the best things about the BBC coverage (which is uniformly excellent IMHO). So DC will be the lead commentator?
                  Why not get Sky? If you want to be able to watch any decent sport these days you need Sky Sports. HD premiership and champions league football for example.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                    Why not get Sky? If you want to be able to watch any decent sport these days you need Sky Sports. HD premiership and champions league football for example.
                    I see you are rapidly settling in to new position of member of the dole collecting freeloading scum.

Actually you don't even need to buy Sky Sports the F1 channel is part of the HD channel package so can be had for £30.25 a month all in for those who don't like any other sport.

I'm just waiting to see what virgin are offering then I'll make a decision regarding boxes.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X