• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weekends and the dentist - Wilmslowesque thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekends and the dentist - Wilmslowesque thread

The weekend started Friday morning with a visit to the dentist. Last week Frau D. rang to make an appointment which was duly granted for yesterday, basically in a weeks time (would you get that in the UK? Plus I'm not even private.) This is for the yearly checkup which is a good idea to have here in Germany as you have a little booklet which gets a stamp in it and if you have a checkup each year then for every 5 years if you need work which requires some outlay from your self (such as crowns or a bridge) then the amount you have to pay goes down. So early in the morning it was down to the dentist who happens to be a middle aged women who scares the life out of me but is actually very good. I did have to go as it happens as during the week a bit of something had got stuck between the bridge and gum which, no matter what I did, I could not get out. Also whilst lying on my bed eating peanut M&Ms one evening there were some extremely hard bits which were either parts of a tooth or filling, so that needed looking into.

I informed here of these actions which needed to be undertaken and off we started. First the bit of food, which looked suspiciously like paprika (sweet pepper) skin was removed and then the Zahnstein (don't know what that is in English) was ground off which I hate. The broken tooth was then examined and I was told that it was basically just a large filling actually and something would eventually have to done to it but a temporary solution would suffice. She started drilling and I felt nothing and answered to her question with that answer and suddenly realised I knew what that meant...root canal! She stopped and asked If I would like to have it down now. 'NO' was my response which was okay as its a 3 stage process, first there is the root canal, then she has to put in a lump of metal (stift) then comes the crown but she also has to put in a 'kostenvoranschlag' which is an estimate to the Krankenkasse who will then say how much I have to pay for the crown. So for this weekend I have a big lump of white plaster like substance there which looks nice and an appointment for early next Friday morning to get the root canal (3 injections, a lot of pulling and a lof of filing) followed by the metal implant (a lot of of drilling) and a temporary crown done. So if next weekend my posts and slurred and full of dribble you'll know why. I did cheer myself up by going shopping and buying 2 pairs of shoes, presumably next week I can buy myself something really expensive...

Now to go to the pub...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Well that went well; nobody replied to your thread.

Comment

Had an emergency appointment with the NHS Dental Access Centre on Tuesday (phoned at 9, seen at 10:30), and again today (phoned 9:45, seen at 11:45). An old filling has given way and now I've got an abscess. The Tuesday chap prescribed Amoxicillin but that hasn't worked, so today they've added Metronidazole to the mix.

The pain has been steadily getting worse throughout the week, heading towards the excruciating end of the scale; at the moment I'm full of Ibuprofen, Codeine and Paracetamol and it's hardly helping at all

Comment

Zahnstein (literally "tooth stone") is plaque. You can really reduce it by using interstitial brushes and an electric toothbrush.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
        X