• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Widow mugged of husband's ashes dies of head injuries; two arrested in murder inquiry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Widow mugged of husband's ashes dies of head injuries; two arrested in murder inquiry

What utter scum -

Two youths were arrested yesterday after widow Nellie Geraghty died of head injuries after being mugged of her handbag which contained her husband's ashes.

Nellie, 79, was left critically ill after she suffered serious head injuries as she desperately tried to cling on to the bag during the incident in Oldham, Greater Manchester.

Police said she died in Royal Oldham Hospital Hospital at about midnight.

The two youths were arrested on suspicion of robbery, however police said they were now treating Nellie's death as murder.

Mrs Geraghty was found collapsed in an alleyway near her home in Shaw just before noon on Thursday.

Inside her handbag was a blue velvet bag containing the ashes of her husband - who died 17 years ago - in a small box, and also £200 in cash.

The handbag was missing at the scene but the strap was still in the pensioner's hand.

A Greater Manchester Police spokeswoman said: "This is a murder inquiry now.

"The elderly woman who was found unconscious in Shaw has now died.

"Two boys, aged 14 and 17, have been arrested on suspicion of robbery and remain in police custody."

Anyone with information about the incident near to the junction of Kershaw Street and Victoria Street should call police on 0161 856 8951 or the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    It's weird to carry their ashes in your purse, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it scummy.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      It's weird to carry their ashes in your purse, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it scummy.
      A whole new meaning to grave robbing.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        It's weird to carry their ashes in your purse,.
        Agreed.

Yet is so sad all the same that even in death they could not be parted until...

I blame the parents, the broken society, etc etc so sad this is the way things are.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Hang the fckers.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            A whole new meaning to grave robbing.
            It is quite serious, yes.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

They should be ash amed of themselves.

Comment

Richard the Lionheart had the right idea, ordering that any soldier committing murder while on crusade would be buried alive with their victim.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

How did he define "murder"? I mean a soldier's job is to kill people.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I am going to reserve judgement on this one, just in case it turns out one of the boys had his dad's ashes in his pocket, thus evening it out a bit.

Comment

Working...
                    X