• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What Sort Of Flat Would You Go For?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Sort Of Flat Would You Go For?

I am just thinking what I would like and am after some knowledge from the more popular posters.

If you could choose to buy a flat which is on one floor or you could choose to buy a flat which is split into two floors which would you prefer?

Assume both are the same size

Does having a split floor and stairs make the flat seem bigger or smaller? I suppose that you have to deduct the size of the staircase when it is split

The flat is small - About 50 square metres

A flat has one floor or it's not a flat.

Never live in the ground floor.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Two floors makes it a maisonette

Comment

Get one that's all on one floor. Otherwise as NickFitz says it's a maisonette, and if you constantly have to say the word "maisonette" you'll sound like a batty.
        "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

I would agree, avoid ground floor flats and preferably have a top floor flat, you avoid noise from above then.
          "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
            I would agree, avoid ground floor flats and preferably have a top floor flat, you avoid noise from above then.
            It isn't always all bad. Last flat I had the only noise I ever heard was the fit bird (who lived on her own in the flat above) enjoying solo activities.
            "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Flat? Isn't this a contractors forum?
              World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
                My experience at college was that noise travels upwards, and I chose a first floor room above a void.

But without students to contend with, top floor as long as there's a reliable lift.
                Last edited by Sysman; 27 November 2011, 11:24. Reason: added "reliable"
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Either the top or the ground floor.

The top if the building has two or three floors and you never have problems walking up the stairs. As you don't have any neighbours above you. Even if the building has a lift, lifts break and also they are expensive to maintain. (BTW I would never buy a flat in a building with more than 3 floors.)

The ground floor if you can have a garden, the lease has a condition that people cannot have hard floors and you have problems walking up stairs. Also the front needs to be higher than the pavement outside or have a front garden to stop nosey passers by having a look in.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Don't get a top floor one if there's no loft space above, even if it has plenty of windows. It will be a sweatbox in summer due to the heat soak through the roof.

Unless they've used whatever super-duper insulation one of my cousins lined his loft conversion with. It was pretty thin stuff, silver backed like a posh padded tinfoil, but cost ~£100 per square metre. Worked though.

Ground floor is crap as you can't leave the windows open when you pop out, and will have people looking in if it's near a pathway.

Middle floors are crap as you have noise from at least three sides.

So overall flats are crap. Especially when they have you over a barrel with the service charges.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X