• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I finally got round to reading.......1984

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally got round to reading.......1984

Rarely have I ever found a book so compelling, so insightful, so frightening and so damn close to modern day politics than this. The fact that it was written over 50 years ago is a testament to Orwell's deep understanding of the working of politics and how it would evolve in the UK, and beyond.

I'm still reeling.

If you haven't read it, or seen the film, I honestly beseech you to get the book. I guarantee you won't be disappointed. Unless you are hoping for some hot snail-on-snail action. As it doesn't have any.

The book explains so much about the machinery of power and control, and its use and abuse by the State to achieve the State's objectives. It also explains quite convincingly how the people let this happen and do not offer resistance.

Off to read Animal Farm next.....(the book not the, ahem, "movie")
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

If you're into doom and gloom, try Brave New World. I read that and 1984 back-to-back many years ago and was depressed for weeks...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Yes, we let it happen because we have forgotten how to be violent. "Violence never solves anything" Stupidest saying ever. Nothing was ever gained without either the reality or the threat of it.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

After those may I suggest: Plato, Last Days of Socrates, and Herodotus, Histories. Then you'll see that none of this is new, and Xoggoth is correct, the only way to clean up such a mess is for good people to get violent.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

The other bit of eerily prescient Orwell that often gets trotted out is his essay on "Politics and the English Language". Just in case you haven't come across it.
          tl

Comment

Animal Farm describes Labour rule perfectly.
            Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

I enjoyed the shortened version with the young women running up the cinema aisle throwing a large hammer at the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek
                Rarely have I ever found a book so compelling, so insightful, so frightening and so damn close to modern day politics than this. The fact that it was written over 50 years ago is a testament to Orwell's deep understanding of the working of politics and how it would evolve in the UK, and beyond.

I'm still reeling.

If you haven't read it, or seen the film, I honestly beseech you to get the book. I guarantee you won't be disappointed. Unless you are hoping for some hot snail-on-snail action. As it doesn't have any.

The book explains so much about the machinery of power and control, and its use and abuse by the State to achieve the State's objectives. It also explains quite convincingly how the people let this happen and do not offer resistance.

Off to read Animal Farm next.....(the book not the, ahem, "movie")
                Much as I love 1984 and AF, his best works are undoubtedly his inter-war essays. Notes on Nationalism, Lion and the Unicorn particularly stand out for me. However, there are loads to get your teeth into.

Do read them.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
                  The other bit of eerily prescient Orwell that often gets trotted out is his essay on "Politics and the English Language". Just in case you haven't come across it.
                  tl
                  Brilliant. I've read it too. It's hilarious the way he pulls apart convoluted writing styles that ramble on but say nothing in particular or just confuse the reader.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
                    Brilliant. I've read it too. It's hilarious the way he pulls apart convoluted writing styles that ramble on but say nothing in particular or just confuse the reader.
                    I particularly like his treatment of the 'not un-' construct. e.g. "it is not unknown".

However, enjoyable though the essay is, he does verge on suggesting that any subtly and shades of meaning should be removed (is "not unknown" really the same as "known"? - I don't think so. There is a subtle extra meaning in the former).

If you eradicted every one of his pet annoyances from the English language then you'd end up with something resembling Newspeak.

Personally, I just think he was just trying to be provocative and entertaining.
                    Last edited by bogeyman; 2 May 2006, 13:03.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X