PDA

View Full Version : Question to bass players

BlasterBates
28th November 2011, 13:04
Is it straightforward to switch from Bass to double Bass?

Thinking of trying to encourage a colleague to get one so he can do some rockabilly with me :music:

pacharan
28th November 2011, 13:09
Nick Knox?

VectraMan
28th November 2011, 13:33
Double bass is twice as hard to play IIRC.

BlasterBates
28th November 2011, 13:40
I was playing one at the weekend and it was tricky but mainly because if you go down the fingerboard you don't know where the notes are, but I reckon with some sticky paper you could probably get round that problem, just show you where the notes are. Playing at the top end wasn't too bad.

TestMangler
28th November 2011, 14:18
I was playing one at the weekend and it was tricky but mainly because if you go down the fingerboard you don't know where the notes are, but I reckon with some sticky paper you could probably get round that problem, just show you where the notes are. Playing at the top end wasn't too bad.

Do you not play a fretless bass then ?

Cliphead
28th November 2011, 14:27
No problem switching between either just a slight change of technique.

BlasterBates
28th November 2011, 14:41
Do you not play a fretless bass then ?

I'm a guitarist, so I don't have a fretless bass. Yes I assume anyone who plays a fretless bass ought to be able to switch easily was my thought. Obviously it's a bit weird with it being vertical, but I suppose you could angle it low to begin with.

BlasterBates
28th November 2011, 14:42
No problem switching between either just a slight change of technique.

That's good to hear; so someone who plays a fretless bass, which I think this guy has, ought to be able to pick it up quickly with a bit of practice.

wobbegong
28th November 2011, 15:36

Get a fretted D.B.?

http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/gear/819007/p1_ukgqgws5o_so.jpg

TestMangler
28th November 2011, 15:56
I'm a guitarist, so I don't have a fretless bass. Yes I assume anyone who plays a fretless bass ought to be able to switch easily was my thought. Obviously it's a bit weird with it being vertical, but I suppose you could angle it low to begin with.

yeah, me to.

To me, bass should be played (and recorded) on a midi-retrofited Roland Juno 6 and be played back (along with drums) via an HD Recorder for live performance by the guitarist. You don't want to go cluttering up the stage (or splitting the fees) with a bass player and drummer now, do you ?

wobbegong
28th November 2011, 15:59
yeah, me to.

To me, bass should be played (and recorded) on a midi-retrofited Roland Juno 6 and be played back (along with drums) via an HD Recorder for live performance by the guitarist. You don't want to go cluttering up the stage (or splitting the fees) with a bass player and drummer now, do you ?

But a D.B. player is an important visual component of a 'Rockabilly' line up. It's like a folk duet without chunky jumpers.

TestMangler
28th November 2011, 16:02
But a D.B. player is an important visual component of a 'Rockabilly' line up. It's like a folk duet without chunky jumpers.

That's two distasteful genres in one post :tongue

BlasterBates
28th November 2011, 16:03
yeah, me to.

I actually knew a bassist who did gigs on his own. He would record his bass in loops whilst playing live and play it back to make it more interesting. Was amazingly good actually.