• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Don't teach the little beggars Office, teach them to code.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't teach the little beggars Office, teach them to code.

Stone me.

BBC News - Coding - the new Latin

What a good idea.

Maybe I'd get esteemed customers who could actually program then.

Or not as the case may be.

One of the current intake had to be shown how to get capital letters out of the keyboard.

I didn't read your link to the url to be honest as I am busy but does the title imply that because coding is the new Latin it will soon be obsolete so therefore there is no point teaching this coding to our youngsters?

Comment

I quite like the idea of the Raspberry Pi to help them learn to program though.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Why bother, bobs will always be able to do it cheaper, when my kids grow up I am going to do everything I can to push them away from a career in IT
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
          Stone me.

BBC News - Coding - the new Latin

What a good idea.

Maybe I'd get esteemed customers who could actually program then.

Or not as the case may be.

One of the current intake had to be shown how to get capital letters out of the keyboard.
          I can't see the government backing IT. It has become clear that we are seen as glorified typists. And we can all be offshored. Yet another reason why the government are totally out of touch.

Comment

I've encouraged my kids to learn to program, but I've firmly discouraged them from entering the world of IT.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              I can't see the government backing IT. It has become clear that we are seen as glorified typists. And we can all be offshored. Yet another reason why the government are totally out of touch.
              I completely disagree - David Cameron admitted "we're not doing enough to teach the next generation of programmers", and said there would be action on that.

Linky (3 minutes in)

I trust him implicitly to do just that. In the same way I trust him to cut the deficit, not the NHS.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                I completely disagree - David Cameron admitted "we're not doing enough to teach the next generation of programmers", and said there would be action on that.

Linky (3 minutes in)

I trust him implicitly to do just that. In the same way I trust him to cut the deficit, not the NHS.
                1. I never trust a politican. Especially when the duopoly have almost identical policies.
                2. There has been a war on contractors for several years. Have the Tories repealed IR35?
                3. IT has been used as a proposed sacrifice to get access to BRIC markets
                4. It seems to be very easy to get visas to work in the UK if you are in IT

But if there is action then I will be the first to give credit where it is due.

Comment

Times change. 40 years ago there wasn't much of an IT industry outside those making the hardware, just a few boffins. What would the IT people on here have been doing instead?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    Times change. 40 years ago there wasn't much of an IT industry outside those making the hardware, just a few boffins. What would the IT people on here have been doing instead?
                    I think I'd have been a test engineer of some sort seeing as I'm only really any good at breaking things.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X