• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

advice re. conveyancing and local search

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

advice re. conveyancing and local search

Hello All,
    I am buying my first property, have my offer accepted and mortgage ready to go.

Basically everything is ready to go however the 'Local Search' has not yet been received.

I am due to complete and exchange on Wednesday and my solicitor has requested the deposit money and other legal feeds which I have now transferred/paid in full.

I was told that we could still complete and exchange on Wednesday WITHOUT the Local Search and was advised by the solicitor that I can take out an insurance policy for £29 to cover not having received the local search in the interim.

I was not told what the insurance is called nor how long it will last or any more specific details.

Is this approach an acceptable one? My only fear is that the Solicitor will stop chasing the search agency after Wednesday/completion - since I have transferred all the monies they will have little incentive to push for the local search response.

any advice on next steps would be appreciated, i'm a newby to dealing with conveyancers!

My advice is to not ask us. Seriously, why would you trust what we have to say?

Comment

... i guess so but hey i'm just looking for opinions.

Comment

My opinion is delay the exchange of contracts until after you receive the searches.

Why would you set a date to complete until all the searches are in and your solicitor has been through them to point out any items of concern?

Crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by ddv View Post
          ... i guess so but hey i'm just looking for opinions.
          Oh you are gonna get some opinions ok
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            My opinion is delay the exchange of contracts until after you receive the searches.

Why would you set a date to complete until all the searches are in and your solicitor has been through them to point out any items of concern?

Crazy.
            WHS

You're in control here. Phone up the solicitor and say 'I'm in control here. We're delaying. I'm a TIGER! RARRRRRRRRR!'

Sorted.

Next!
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Why not set a completion date before you even view a property? I'm sure you can get insurance just in case.....

Comment

Actually, re . Tiger.

True story dis.

Went to the solicitor last week to provide proof of indentity and the guy on reception picked up the phone and started talking.

'Yes sir, yes sir, no he didn't look at it. No he's gone sir, yes, yes. I can tell you've been drinking sir, and I can tell you're upset, it's just, yes, yes, yes, I was not being rude sir, I can tell you're angry, I can't do, yes, yes' -

Made me smile. He was very calm though. I don't think telling the person over the phone he was pissed was a good idea though.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Tell them to pull their finger out.

The solicitor will need to review the local search before passing any items of concern on to you, like flood risks, coal mining, compulsory purchase orders, road schemes planned, etc etc.

They even look at proximity to petrol and fuel sites, dangerous or hazardous sites etc. which can make a massive difference to insurance premiums.

Most can now be done online (groundsure, chancelcheck) so there should be no reason why they can't sort all of them in less than 7 days.

Proceeding without reviewing it is a bit like buying a car without a V5, then finding out the car was owned by a taxi firm.

Comment

Originally posted by minsky1 View Post

Proceeding without reviewing it is a bit like buying a car without a V5, then finding out the car was owned by a taxi firm.
                    Yep, tell me about it.

I bought a car a few years back, turned out the fking thing had been owned by three taxi firms!

Wish I'd had an expert here check it out first.

Comment

Working...
                    X