• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Christmas party attire dilemma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas party attire dilemma

Me and my 4 year old autistic son attend the work Christmas party. There is a fancy dress prize for best boy and girl. My son loves the dressing up box - alas it is his older sister's stuff he prefers rather than his older brother's. We keep hiding the dresses - but he keeps digging them out.

I have never let him out in public like that. Should I?

I wouldn't. It won't do his self esteem any good to have the p*ss ripped out of him in public.
    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Me and my 4 year old autistic son attend the work Christmas party. There is a fancy dress prize for best boy and girl. My son loves the dressing up box - alas it is his older sister's stuff he prefers rather than his older brother's. We keep hiding the dresses - but he keeps digging them out.

I have never let him out in public like that. Should I?
      Daughter goes as Cinderella. Father and son go as ugly sisters, sorted. All in fancy dress, lad gets to wear what he wants and Dad shows support, all in seasonally acceptable costumes.
      Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
        I wouldn't. It won't do his self esteem any good to have the p*ss ripped out of him in public.
        Well it would not do my self esteem any good - but he is in his own little world. He has very little idea what is going on.

Though in some ways he can be quite clever. When he can't get on the computer at nursery he turns it off at the wall. Soon as the coast is clear he powers it back on. I have to admire the sneakiness.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Well it would not do my self esteem any good - but he is in his own little world. He has very little idea what is going on.

Though in some ways he can be quite clever. When he can't get on the computer at nursery he turns it off at the wall. Soon as the coast is clear he powers it back on. I have to admire the sneakiness.
          You and him both.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            You and him both.
            Stop being so mean.

Lend him your Gingham dress FFS.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Stop being so mean.

Lend him your Gingham dress FFS.
              It's got a stain on and it's in storage. May come in useful in the future.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
                Daughter goes as Cinderella. Father and son go as ugly sisters, sorted. All in fancy dress, lad gets to wear what he wants and Dad shows support, all in seasonally acceptable costumes.
                First rate suggestion!
                The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  You and him both.

Comment

My eldest was diagnosed ASD when he was 2 1/2 but we have recovered him (he's 6 now, has been fine since starting school - combination of intensive ABA and biomed). They all have their little obsessions, luckily dresses was not one for us. At his birthday party last weekend he was Anakin Skywalker, I would have preferred Luke.

Other 'normal' 4 year old boys like to wear dresses, let him do what he wants. Plenty of time to bow to peer pressure in the future. If anyone gives him a hard time, take them out back for a kicking. Ask yourself, who's side are you on, his or theirs? Like all parents you might want to examine whether you are passing on your hang-ups to your children.

If you are interested in how we treated our autistic son you can PM me, I'll send you his story which the missus (who did most of the work while I kept on invoicing) wrote up.
                    Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Working...
                    X