• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Open Source Web-Based File Browser?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Source Web-Based File Browser?

Dear chaps,

Have wasted all day trying various 'open source' solutions for my requirement of a PHP-based web-browser-hosted file browser (like a simpler Windows Explorer or Mac Finder, nothng very fancy, just the basics)

A quick bit of Googling gave me about a hundred to try. I have tried about 10 and they are all unmitigated pieces of tulip. None of them really work properly at all (mostly tulipty syntax and glaring config errors).

I even tried a few trial 'commercial products' and they were just as broken.

It doesn't bode well when today's OSS development talent can't even write a simple file browser app.

Guess what I'm coding right now

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Free code on the internet often requires a good deal of debugging in my experience. Often it just doesn't run at all.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
      Free code on the internet often requires a good deal of debugging in my experience. Often it just doesn't run at all.
      Yes, Xog - my experience exactly.

I'm not knocking OSS as an idea, and there are some great products (Apache, PHP, MySQL, Postgre... et al), but unfortunately, it does give a forum to delusional twats who think they can develop software, and then spectacularly fail to deliver

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Yes most of the stuff out there is total tulip. It's a real minefield of crap code, crap ideas and crap crap. I end up implementing my own stuff usually (ie recently rather than an open source CMS, I knocked up a site with good old mod_include).

As for file browsers and utilities, WebShell is the best I've found, but I can't actually find it anywhere on the internet.
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
          Dear chaps,

Have wasted all day trying various 'open source' solutions for my requirement of a PHP-based web-browser-hosted file browser (like a simpler Windows Explorer or Mac Finder, nothng very fancy, just the basics)
          Er, what about Firefox?

JR in "I probably need to get me coat" mode
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

If you narrow down open source to PHP then you will get a load of trash. PHP is used a lot more by amateurs and fewer professionals. The best open source will always come from the same tools (Java, C++ etc) that the professionals use and normally from those that use their open source programs as a marketing tool for example Collabnet the owners of Subversion market a lot of supporting tools for Subversion.

Comment

PHP is the new VB and I claim my £5.

Comment

Yes there is a lot of PHP trash out there and as you said because much of it has been churned out by amateurs.

But IMO that does not translate to PHP being trash. The best technologies can easily be bastardised by well meaning but inexperienced developers ... whether they're professional or amateur.

Comment

Originally posted by privateeye
                  If you narrow down open source to PHP then you will get a load of trash. PHP is used a lot more by amateurs and fewer professionals. The best open source will always come from the same tools (Java, C++ etc) that the professionals use and normally from those that use their open source programs as a marketing tool for example Collabnet the owners of Subversion market a lot of supporting tools for Subversion.
                  I see your point, but I needed this to be in PHP simply because PHP is available on 99% of basic web hosting packages whereas Java isn't and C/C++ GCIs are not always an option.

Bob/DP - well, it's like anything else I suppose, use the tool well and in its proper context and you can do good things (yes, even with VB). I think there a bit of snobbery and elitism in the view that because something is easy to use, the end results must be inferior to something that's hard to use.

Clearly, it is also possible to write utter tulipe in any 'hard' language although I find C++ and Perl are particularly enabling in this respect

Comment

A died-in-the-wool geek down the pub (he has a T-shirt with a file-encryption algorithm printed on it) swears by something called Sapphire. (?)
                    hth

F in "Mainframe dinosaur" mode
                    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Working...
                    X