• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Strikers are stealing from their own children

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strikers are stealing from their own children

BBC News - Public sector strike set to be largest for a generation

We've known for more than 40 years that the postwar baby boom would make the state pension systems of European countries unsustainable. Governments have procrastinated, prevaricated and kicked the can down the road, and now, with a worldwide financial crisis caused partly by governments continually overspending, the tulip is hitting the fan and all governments in the western world need to make savings.

One way I feel they could make large, immediate and permanent savings is to raise pension age as of tomorrow morning, not in 5 or 15 years' time, but tomorrow morning. I've always argued that that would allow the pension age to be raised by a small amount of time, perhaps 6 or 9 months. But now things have changed and public finances are not much good, so I feel that pension age in most European countries should actually rise by two years with immediate effect. Anything else is stealing from younger people who cannot be confident they'll ever get a pension. I feel George Osborne is acting too softly on state and public sector pensions and needs to man up and tackle this head on. An immediate rise in pension age would also give a signal to the world that European countries are getting their house in order.

The strikers know that their pensions are unsustainable, but still they demand to retire while they're still young and healthy enough to work and contribute. Who's going to pay if they get what they want? That's right; their own children, who'lll never be able to get a pension, won't be able to study without building up huge debts, won't be able to take healthcare for granted and will have to pay ever higher social contributions to finance an unsustainable system.

The strikers are attempting to literally steal from their own children and grandchildren and they disgust me.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

At least the roads were clear on the way into the office this morning...

Comment

From the facebook page of a guy I know in Glasgow (through playing rugby) who doesn't have a top job at all; he's a crane operative (arguably a 'top' job though on second thoughts). In fact he's the epitome of what most people would call 'working class';

As I head out in the pish weather at tulip o clock I hope all my public sector strikers have a nice long lie this morning whilst i'm up and about trying to earn money to pay into my pension that won't provide me any guarantee's or security of a final salary pension but an income that is completely unkown and open to the vagaries of the stockmarket and numerous other factors outwith my control.
      Says it all really.

Comment

This daft strike gave the Government a great opportunity to lay on the doom with a trowel in Osborne's speech yesterday, and get this honestly into the open in a way that is a standing reproach to the strikers and will make the Government look good if things improve slightly better than the new forecasts.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Yep indeed, often depicted as a "class struggle" or poor vs wealthy the political debate isn't; it is between one group of average earners vs another group of average earners, usually public sector or possibly strongly unionised vs private sector. The wealthy bankers is a red herring, no-one minds if they pay a one off bonus tax, problem is the wealthy bankers are used as an excuse to put taxes up for everyone.

If you actually look how much a pension in the publice sector is worth, it is probably the equivalent of several hundred grand, I reckon somewhere between half a million and a million, depending on when they retire.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

I found out that the Scottish teachers pension pot is 24 billion in the red, about 20% of the Scottish GDP and about 500,000 for each teacher, I would assume that is pretty much the same across the country, scary figures.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke
              Governments have procrastinated, prevaricated and kicked the can down the road, and now, with a worldwide financial crisis caused partly by governments continually overspending, but mainly by a financial sector gambling on sub-prime derivatives that nobody really understood in the search for ever larger bonuses, the tulip is hitting the fan and all governments in the western world need to make savings to ensure that their corporate director friends can carry on paying themselves double-digit pay rises, while cutting pay for employees, reducing job security, slashing benefits and pensions for the low paid, owning 99% of everything , and paying FA in tax

FTFY. Forget the children, we are being robbed now.
              The current crisis in most Euiropean countries with the exception of Ireland isn't caused by derivatives or overpaid bankers it's caused by governments overspending since the 1970's plain and simple.Greek banks may go bankrupt because they hold Greek public debt. Italy's deficit has been over 100% of GDP since the early 1990's. Japan doesn't even allow derivatives trading and also went into the sh*te.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                The current crisis in most Euiropean countries with the exception of Ireland isn't caused by derivatives or overpaid bankers it's caused by governments overspending since the 1970's plain and simple.Greek banks may go bankrupt because they hold Greek public debt. Italy's deficit has been over 100% of GDP since the early 1990's. Japan doesn't even allow derivatives trading and also went into the sh*te.
                Yep, and the derivatives are only really made possible by debt. However, pjclarke has a point; but, his point, however valid, doesn't change the situation, and doesn't change the fact that changes to pensions and pension age need to be made now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  BBC News - Public sector strike set to be largest for a generation

We've known for more than 40 years that the postwar baby boom would make the state pension systems of European countries unsustainable.....

The strikers know that their pensions are unsustainable, but still they demand to retire while they're still young and healthy enough to work and contribute. Who's going to pay if they get what they want? That's right; their own children, who'lll never be able to get a pension, .....

Excuse me, but I don't see the relevance. All that you quote is about state pensions. The public sector workers are striking about their occupational pensions.
                  Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
                    Excuse me, but I don't see the relevance. All that you quote is about state pensions. The public sector workers are striking about their occupational pensions.
                    In the end it's the same; both need a rise in pension age right now.

Comment

Working...
                    X