PDA

View Full Version : Hello there...

GeorgeB
30th November 2011, 11:43
Hi,

I've decided to run away from my permy role and become a contractor. I'm still serving my notice period which takes me up to the end of January, so a little time to read/research this stuff.

I've already decided on the Accounting company and to go the Limited route.

I want to be prepared as much as possible. I'm going to invest in a good Interview book, I'm thinking about: Great Answers to Tough Interview Questions.

Does anybody else know of, or recommend another good book for the IT Contractor Interview experience / process?

Cheers,
George

RobertRice
30th November 2011, 13:48
Hi,

IT Contractor Interview experience / process?

George

Contractor interviews are easy. Usually a quick call phone call and an informal chat. Getting the interviews is where your focus should be...

SimonMac
30th November 2011, 14:33
I would be wary of buying any interview books, as interviews for contracts are very different from interview's for permie roles. At the very basic level a permie interview is to see how you as a person would fit into the company, however a contract interview is what value you can offer to the client.

GeorgeB
30th November 2011, 15:52
OK, Thanks guys. I'll forget the interview book idea, just a bit of new-to-contracting nerves on my part.

I probably just need to get a list of possible questions and make sure I'm not umm'ing and arr'ing too much!

SimonMac
30th November 2011, 16:04
OK, Thanks guys. I'll forget the interview book idea, just a bit of new-to-contracting nerves on my part.

I probably just need to get a list of possible questions and make sure I'm not umm'ing and arr'ing too much!

Your are being interviewed as you are supposedly and expert in your field, make sure you are shit hot on what you do, they won't care when you think you will be in 5 years time.

Zippy
30th November 2011, 16:05
I have been asked the 'where do you see yourself in five years' kind of questions, but I don't answer them in the way they are meant to be answered.
All the client wants to know is can you do the job so swot up on technical/business skills.

northernladuk
30th November 2011, 17:08
Dress according you your client as well. Worth doing a bit of research of asking the agent.
If it is public sector being suited and booted in a pinstripe suit complete with tie, cufflinks etc will not tick the 'team fit' box with the two tank top wearing inverviewers.
Conversely pair of brown cords will not endear you to large global consultacy companies.

Do not demonstrate your skills by producing documentation with your ex-employers name on it still.

Learn the difference between a contractor and permie and do not ask about things that do not concern you i.e. Steer away from asking about office time, canteen arragements, when yearly wage rises are given etc.

cojak
30th November 2011, 22:21
I go to any interview graciously providing the (potential) client with one hours free consultancy. This mainly involves listening to them and asking the right questions.

Works for me :glasses

GeorgeB
1st December 2011, 09:38
Thanks Guys,

I'm really looking forward to the contracting game. I think its going to be fun :happy

Just wish my permy notice period would hurry up and get out the way!

RobertRice
1st December 2011, 09:43
Thanks Guys,

I'm really looking forward to the contracting game. I think its going to be fun :happy

Just wish my permy notice period would hurry up and get out the way!

Good luck George and have lots of fun.

Support Monkey
1st December 2011, 09:46
I go to any interview graciously providing the (potential) client with one hours free consultancy. This mainly involves listening to them and asking the right questions.

Works for me :glasses

Tis true, focus on the role they want you to fill ask questions about the role/project/system, what can you do for them and tell them how they will benefit by using you, forget everything else

TheFaQQer
1st December 2011, 10:28
If it is public sector being suited and booted in a pinstripe suit complete with tie, cufflinks etc will not tick the 'team fit' box with the two tank top wearing inverviewers.

Disagree. It depends on which bit of public sector, of course, but having done lots of work with central government, I would never consider not wearing a suit, tie, cufflinks etc. for an interview with them.

TheFaQQer
1st December 2011, 10:29
My best interview (current gig) started with them saying "I'll tell you about all the problems we've got, and then you can tell me whether you'd be interested in helping to fix them".

The only questions were when could I start and was I planning any time off. :smokin