• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using twitter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using twitter

I find myself thrust upon the world of twitter, in order to post some crap at annoying regularity to create some "awareness" of my "social activity" based plan B business.

I've managed to avoid facebook, twitter, friend(s)-reunited for so long in my adult life as I don't want people from my past knowing what I'm up to thanks - not that there's anything bad, I just don't see it's their business, and I've got enough friends that I really don't need anymore.

But, business calls and "the business" would find this a good platform to promte awareness of itself.

So, how do I use it effectively - I think I'm coming round to its working as I've just had a reply from the pub landlord hiself. Do you go about bothering the celebs and the like, in the hope that they follow you, so that your tweets get a wider audience. Do you post interesting stuff only. Funny things - I'll have to try hard at that one. Nonsical bullsiht. Any advice welcome for a newbie.

Next weeks installment - Facebook

If it's a business twitter account - then keep it business focused. Those following you don't want to know what you've had for lunch etc.

If you feel the need to also tell people what you had for lunch, then create two accounts. One for talking to celebs, chatting with mates and the all important lunch decisions, the other for posting updates relating to your business.

Oh and don't retweet jokes / appeals for kidneys etc on your business account as its just the same as spam.

I had a Tesco value meal in case you're wondering. I also use twitter - probably far too much but only for personal use.
    Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Twitter is a tool and like all tools can be dangerous in the wrong hands. I know a guy who is a contractor and he tweets about his most private thoughts, then a few tweets later he is asking for work. For example he would tweet about being a virgin or smoking cannabis and watching pron then post his CV looking for work. He wonders why he is still benched!

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
        I know a guy who is a contractor and he tweets about his most private thoughts, then a few tweets later he is asking for work. For example he would tweet about being a virgin or smoking cannabis and watching pron then post his CV looking for work. He wonders why he is still benched!
        Doesn't surprise me. Tools usually have tools for mates.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Looking at those whom I follow, I think the nearest to a celebrity would be doctor and science journalist Ben Goldacre, who would probably laugh like a drain at being described as such.I started out following selected people I know/have worked with, and interesting people tended to turn up as existing followees retweeted them. I might read something interesting in the normal course of things and decide to follow that person,but only if an examination of their timeline shows that they've got something more useful to say on there than lunch/cat related gubbins - people who write interesting articles don't always write interesting tweets.

I definitely recommend following @big_ben_clock, if only because it reminds you of how much time you've wasted on there.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Doesn't surprise me. Tools usually have tools for mates.
            Hes not my mate, I know him from another contractor who pointed me to his entertaining twitter account. How are your mates Suity, Blaster and Scooter doing?

Comment

I have two accounts, a personal one and one for the business and never the two shall meet!
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Cannot really be arsed with it, although I do read Tim Westwood's twitter on occasion, I find him blacking up quite funny.

Twitter gives the impression that they are interesting when they are not. Like listening to people wired on coke.

Comment

Thanks all. What's the overall pupose of the hashtag?

@Soupboy I've never been bovvered wiv it personally, but dis is buzniz, innit.

Comment

#hashtag is to allow searching on a "trend" such as #xfactor or #SPOTY. Then you can see all comments relating to that one subject.

But you'll also find that some people use them as a throw-away comment at the end of there post which isn't really the point of them.
                    #sometimesguiltyofthatmyself
                    Last edited by Notascooby; 30 November 2011, 13:44. Reason: isn't rather than is..
                    Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Working...
                    X