• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which VAT scheme should I register?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which VAT scheme should I register?

I am an IT contractor with a new Ltd company and want to register for VAT.

I would not be buying much stuff for the company. I would probaly spend no more than £1000 a year (i.e laptop, software) on company and i guess possibly another (£1500) on accounting.

What type of VAT scheme will suit me best ?

by the way some other contractor was telling me that some Agencies will not touch me if I am not VAT registered, is this True ?

Cheers

css_jay99

VAT registration is always a good idea. Pissing of the VAT man is a very unwise thing to do and will get you in far more trouble than even the IR.

If you have low VAT'able expenses i.e. nothing over £2000 on a regular basis the the FRS is the best bet. As an extra incentive to get an additional 1% discount for the first 12 months of trading.

An accountant is the best person to ask. The financial advice you get on here is generally worth what you paid for it.

You can also ring HMRC and talk to them. The VAT people are generally very helpfull and informed.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

i registered for VAT in January, but did not claim VAT from my client until May due to no response from VAT People until last month. do i just submit returns for when i claimed regardlesss of registration ?

Comment

I am just having a look at the IR site on VAT apart from the 1st Year, the Flat rate scheme is of absolutely no use if i cant claim anything back. I mean other than having to do the VAT man's job for him, I dont get nothing back in return for my effort.

Am I missing something here ?

Do I charge Agency 17.5% and then give IR 13.0% ?

Cheers

Comment

You charge customer £1000 + £175 VAT total £1175

When you come to pay VAT on the flat rate scheme you pay 13% of the gross = £152.75

enroute you have just pocketed the difference between VAT charged and VAT paid £22.25

SO multiply it up to say £10k then its £222.5 for doing nowt.
          Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
            You charge customer £1000 + £175 VAT total £1175

When you come to pay VAT on the flat rate scheme you pay 13% of the gross = £152.75

enroute you have just pocketed the difference between VAT charged and VAT paid £22.25

SO multiply it up to say £10k then its £222.5 for doing nowt.
            Do you then have to pay CT on the difference ?

Comment

Originally posted by sugsy
              i registered for VAT in January, but did not claim VAT from my client until May due to no response from VAT People until last month. do i just submit returns for when i claimed regardlesss of registration ?
              You are in trouble...VAT people will say you should have attached "VAT number applied for" to the top of your invoices and claimed VAT straight away

They will wait a year (to allow the interest to accrue) then expect a visit to assess you as having missed your payments for 2 quarters

Interest will be compounded ...

Comment

cheeky sods !

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
                  Do you then have to pay CT on the difference ?
                  thats a good point !, any ideas ?

Comment

Pretty sure you do.

Comment

Working...
                    X