• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Identity theft

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identity theft

This week I've had someone try and transfer a £4995 debt onto my credit card, they've also applied for a loan in my name and also applied for another credit card, and this only the stuff I know about.

Now I've had a letter from a company called 'credit score matters' welcoming me to their credit history service where I can view all the info creditors have on me... the trouble is I never applied for this service so it looks as though they are complicit in an act of fraud.

Feckin furious.

Anyone had trouble like this? I never thought it would happen to me.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Thought I should try to become Godlike for my birthday, but I may have left it a bit late.

<Placeholder>

Insert witty post here!

</Placeholder>

P.S. some thread domination too.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

You need to do this immediately - CIFAS - Protective Registration

Any time this thief decides to try anything he will be asked more info about you. So unless they are related to you or recently burgled your house they won't know it.

Also you it may be worth getting things like your bank and credit cards cancelled and reissued with new numbers. As you can only transfer money if you know the card numbers.

Finally buy a cross-cut shredder and use it for all your personal and company documents before binning them. You should have one anyway and it should be able to shred bank cards and CDs.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
        Thought I should try to become Godlike for my birthday, but I may have left it a bit late.
        Happy birthday - the cake was nice.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          You need to do this immediately - CIFAS - Protective Registration

Any time this thief decides to try anything he will be asked more info about you. So unless they are related to you or recently burgled your house they won't know it.

Also you it may be worth getting things like your bank and credit cards cancelled and reissued with new numbers. As you can only transfer money if you know the card numbers.

Finally buy a cross-cut shredder and use it for all your personal and company documents before binning them. You should have one anyway and it should be able to shred bank cards and CDs.
          I've got a shredder, my card has been cancelled and banking details changed.

Still feel violated and vulnerably even though they have failed at each attempt.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Absolutely - These days you'd have to be very sloppy or naive to throw away any document at all with any personal details about you or your family.

I even shred birthday cards, because obviously someone snooping through your rubbish would know someone in the property had recently had a birthday and might be able to guess the date!
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Just read a letter from my bank, they have already registered my details with CIFAS which is a little reassuring.

Comment

Funny, I was thinking of asking about this myself.

Not had my identity hacked but have sorted a load of old papers out and not sure which are safe to chuck out, far too many seem to have DOB or NI number on them. My nephew in law, who is a policeman at Gatwick, keeps telling me to shred everything but I would need an industrial sized one to cope with all the papers I have.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Yes

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ity-theft.html

You need to contact CIFAS(if your bank has not done so already). CIFAS - Welcome to CIFAS

You can have some additional security added to your credit file, which means anyone attempting to take out any more credit etc will be stopped by the extra security regardless of all the other stuff they have.

Had it done to me, the CIFAS security stopped it, but it is a pain in the arse as it stops you from applying for credit online with automated systems as it will automatically fail your application but I suppose thats a minor incovienience.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    This week I've had someone try and transfer a £4995 debt onto my credit card, they've also applied for a loan in my name and also applied for another credit card, and this only the stuff I know about.

Now I've had a letter from a company called 'credit score matters' welcoming me to their credit history service where I can view all the info creditors have on me... the trouble is I never applied for this service so it looks as though they are complicit in an act of fraud.

Feckin furious.

Anyone had trouble like this? I never thought it would happen to me.
                    Gut feeling. That "credit score matters" company sounds well dodgy. Given the fact they have come along at coincidentally the "right time" for you, who's it also possible that they are trying to find out where your other bank and card accounts are.

Code:
                    whois creditscorematters.co.uk 

Domain name:
                            creditscorematters.co.uk

Registrant:
                            Adaptive Affinity Limited

Registrant type:
                            UK Individual

Registrant's address:
                            Cavendish House
                            369 Burnt Oak Broadway
                            Edgware
                            Middlesex
                            HA8 5AW
                            United Kingdom

Registrar:
                            Webfusion Ltd t/a 123-reg [Tag = 123-REG]
                            URL: http://www.123-reg.co.uk

Relevant dates:
                            Registered on: 20-Jan-2009
                            Renewal date:  20-Jan-2013
                            Last updated:  04-Feb-2011

Registration status:
                            Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:
                            ns1.adaptivemarketing.com
                            ns2.adaptivemarketing.com

WHOIS lookup made at 17:59:47 30-Nov-2011
                    From adaptiveaffinity dot com

We are the market leader in post-transactional incremental-revenue online marketing. Adaptive Affinity is the superior customer-loyalty reward programme provider, with over 4 million members.
                    We are proud of our comprehensive range of premier membership programmes, offering money-saving discount shopping rewards along with quality credit protection services.

And our responsive Customer Service Team is unsurpassed. For over 20 years, we have delivered customised solutions to fit the needs of our partners in the online marketplace. We offer direct value with professional integrity.
                    ... whatever all that guff means in this context...
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X