• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone got FreeSat? Opinions Please Vs Sky...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone got FreeSat? Opinions Please Vs Sky...

I'm looking at upgrading from basic Freeview TV to something better, but due to location we can't get any cable based TV, so am left with Sky or FreeSat (excluding BT Vision which looks, well, pony!)

Had a fallout with Sky a few years ago so not keen on going back, so wondering whether anyone has FreeSat and opinions on it from a quality of programmes, picture / sound quality etc. What PVR have you got, and is it worth buying?

Any advice gladly accepted....

Not specific but an overview: the actual signal is the same for a given channel on Freesat or Sky, though obviously your experience may differ with different decoders.

At bottom, Freesat is the name of an Electronic Programme Guide (EPG), from which you access individual channels. Sky likewise gives you an EPG, and optionally some decoding to let you view encrypted channels, depending on what you pay them.

You may use a Sky decoder without a Sky card, to get more or less the same as you get on a Freesat decoder, but via the Sky EPG rather than the Freesat EPG. That way you pay no Sky subscription.
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
      You may use a Sky decoder without a Sky card, to get more or less the same as you get on a Freesat decoder, but via the Sky EPG rather than the Freesat EPG. That way you pay no Sky subscription.
      Bear in mind that if you want the PVR functionality on the sky box to work you have to subscribe.

There are more channels on freesat than freeview but they are mostly of the pointless filler variety (or 1 hour delayed). Freesat theoretically has higher bandwidth, in practice this translates as more crap rather than better quality. If you struggle with freeview reception then freesat will be an improvement in that sense.

SKy has movies and sport and sky one has quite a bit of good stuff on, or used to, if you want those then it's the only game in town.
      Last edited by doodab; 1 December 2011, 10:26.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I wouldn't particularly say Freesat is any better than Freeview, they're rather comparable... both offer HD channels, both have the same core set of (30 or so) channels.

If you go freesat, Humax was the top PVR when we got ours... no TV reception so not much option.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          Bear in mind that if you want the PVR functionality on the sky box to work you have to subscribe.
          There are a fair number of PVR's out there without going with a Sky one. For a couple of hundred quid, I beleive you can get a 1TB PVR of reasonable quality....

Comment

One of the great advantages of Freesat is that you get all the BBC channels.

And I mean all.

There's Heinz 57 varieties of BBC1, and 4 varieties of BBC2, which means you can avoid the tedious crap that the local yokels deem that you should watch, and watch BBC1 London (or whereever) instead.

Great for avoiding tedious rugby matches on Fridays.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I wouldn't particularly say Freesat is any better than Freeview, they're rather comparable... both offer HD channels, both have the same core set of (30 or so) channels.

If you go freesat, Humax was the top PVR when we got ours... no TV reception so not much option.
              WHS.

My sister has one for her house in France so they can still get British TV (you can't possibly go away and miss the important goings on in Coronation Street for a while )
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Apparently you can't get Babestation on Freesat, so I'm out
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
                  There are a fair number of PVR's out there without going with a Sky one. For a couple of hundred quid, I beleive you can get a 1TB PVR of reasonable quality....
                  I was pointing out a specific limitation of the sky ones which someone else had suggested could be used.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I have a sky box, not greatly happy with it, often freezes and needs rebooting, much happier when I had a Humax...
                    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Working...
                    X