• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to spot an eBay scam

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to spot an eBay scam

I sometimes browse ebay for gold bargains when it's quiet at ClientCo. Occasionally you can get coins or bullion at under spot price, which is nice. However, one has to be very aware of scams, which are getting harder to spot if you don't have the nous.

Exhibit A - 500g gold bar

I'm certain this item is a scam. Why?

1) It's a 1 day listing - not hard evidence but if you were selling something worth £18k then you'd probably want more exposure

2) The item doesn't match the seller's profile - The seller has 63 feedback points (100%)... great, he's trustworthy, right? Look at the detail on the feedback... it's all for small ticket items, mostly baby's clothing. Most likely, the account has been hacked and is being used by the hacker to sell this non-existent item

3) The 'seller' has 2 of the same item listed - Look at his other items, he has another 500g bar in a separate listing... yes, the listing says he has 2 to sell, but he's used exactly the same photo for both... Just lazy? Perhaps, but again, it doesn't give confidence.

4) The photo can be found on Google Images - Looks like the image was just lifted from the net

I've reported it, but eBay are usually verryyyyyy sllllooooowwwww to respond. Someone is going to get stung!

What's your opinion?? Is this obvious or cunning?
    It's about time I changed this sig...

You missed that they want payment via bank wire

Someone I was working with 7 years back had his ebay account hacked (OK, he fell for a phishing scam) and a load of mobile phones listed on it on one day listings. He reported it to eBay immediately, and it took them 3 days to freeze his account.

In the meantime, someone sold £34k of phones from his account and disappeared with the money.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I had my ebay account hacked. Fortunately, no money changed hands, but had a lot of nasty emails from other buyers!

Comment

So the next question is how easy is it to hack an eBay account, assuming you have used a strong password?
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          So the next question is how easy is it to hack an eBay account, assuming you have used a strong password?
          In the case of those who have their accounts hacked, such an assumption is invalid - except for those who fall for phishing, in which case the password strength is irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Probably very difficult. I would imagine in this case, the password was very weak or they were phished or their email was accessed or something like that, rather than eBay's secure servers were 'hacked' into...

I'm tempted to make a fake account and bid $100,000 on each
            It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
              Probably very difficult. I would imagine in this case, the password was very weak or they were phished or their email was accessed or something like that, rather than eBay's secure servers were 'hacked' into...

I'm tempted to make a fake account and bid $100,000 on each
              A fake account that allows you to bid requires a credit card is registered and a Paypal account attached. Sounds like a good plan.........
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I like ebay, they're a big .net customer

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                  I like ebay, they're a big .net customer

Milan.
                  Probably why it gets hacked so often...
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

nah, they've got .net at the back

the data warehouse and master data is .net

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X