• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poor, poor strikers go shopping

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor, poor strikers go shopping

Public sector workers use pensions strike to go Christmas shopping - Telegraph

Don't we all feel sorry for them?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    If you were offered a 10% rate cut, and you decided not to take it, and subsequently went shopping, would that make you a hypocrite?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Very poor effort. No riots, no running battles with the law, no petrol bombs, rubber bullets, watercannon, nothing at all. Shameful.

Comment

Scumbags.

Striking while negotiations are taking place is insane.

I drive past Trafford Centre, and Cheadle Royal with a huge John Lewis - doubled my journey time due to the traffic chaos from the shoppers.

Very hacked off.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          If you were offered a 10% rate cut, and you decided not to take it, and subsequently went shopping, would that make you a hypocrite?
          No, but that's rather different to not turning up for work.

Comment

No, but that's rather different to not turning up for work.
            Not really. You have your negotiating tools and they have theirs.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Not really. You have your negotiating tools and they have theirs.
              They're weakening their negotiating position by going shopping; it means they can't be taken seriously. Obvious answer to them is 'you obviously don't need your wages if you can go on strike and go shopping; start by putting your money into your savings accounts instead of buying christmas crap in the shops'.

Comment

They're weakening their negotiating position by going shopping; it means they can't be taken seriously. Obvious answer to them is 'you obviously don't need your wages if you can go on strike and go shopping; start by putting your money into your savings accounts instead of buying christmas crap in the shops'.
                So anyone earning more than subsistence wages can't be taken seriously?

Comment

So anyone earning more than subsistence wages can't be taken seriously?
                  Not the point. You go on strike, you choose to forego the wages, you then choose to go shopping instead of just staying at home or on a picket line, then no, I can't take it seriously; it looks more like a sort of mass luxury day off than a protest by people who have something genuine to complain about.

Comment

I think it was a poor turn out i drove past 2 courthouses on the way in and only saw 2 picketer outside each, i then arrived at the town hall and walked past the entrance where a pile of placards and banners had been left on the floor but no people outside,

I had assumed calls and issues would be less due to the lack of people in the office but no it was infact quite a busy day with no noticable disruption

the only major issue i saw was the schools closed

Comment

Working...
                    X