• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Puts it all into perspective

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puts it all into perspective

Working from home and writing up my work progress report, wading through office politics and dodgy (non-existant) project plans and milestones.

10 minutes ago got a knock on the door from a neighbour, the neighbour on the other side of us just dropped dead last night, his missus is devastated.

I'm not going to worry about things quite so much as I did an hour ago.

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

So you can add to the list of achievements in your report that at least you are not dead - maybe slightly delayed on a few tasks, but not dead.
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Quite.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
        So you can add to the list of achievements in your report that at least you are not dead - maybe slightly delayed on a few tasks, but not dead.
        Unfortunately even the dead part can only be delayed too.

Comment

Chin up, you'll soon be back to worrying about trivia such as what to have for tea, or what tat to buy others for Christmas, like the rest of us.

In the last few years I've been discovering the worst part of getting old is all your even older relatives dying off.

Just part of life and no one gets out of it alive, so no point worrying about it.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Obviously if you were a permie this would have affected you somewhat and would not be able to complete the work you were planning on doing and compassionate leave would need to be granted
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Working from home and writing up my work progress report, wading through office politics and dodgy (non-existant) project plans and milestones.

10 minutes ago got a knock on the door from a neighbour, the neighbour on the other side of us just dropped dead last night, his missus is devastated.

I'm not going to worry about things quite so much as I did an hour ago.

Nothing focuses the mind and clears the crap away like someone you know, and/or love, dying.

Occasionally, when life seems to be piling on the agony, I like to go and sit by the sea. The relentless inevitabliity of the waves washes away the worry, after all, in a hundred years time who's going to care about anything I've ever done, but those waves will still be rolling in.
              The vegetarian option.

Comment

Daughter went to a call last night. The next door neighbour rang a 999 call in, the old dear next door was banging on the wall and screaming 'help me, help me. please somebody help me'
                So she arrived just as the police were kicking the door in.
                The old dear said to her, 'They came in the night, ransacked the house, molested me then locked me in the cellar'

Daughter straps her up , loads her in the ambulance and whips her off to hospital. She tells the police, these houses dont have cellars, and I can tell by the smell she has a UTI (urinal tract infection) which older women are prone to, and which sends them bonkers for a few days.
                She had imagined the whole thing

Not quite as bad as having a neighbour dying, but a sobering and salutory reminder of how things can be
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
                  after all, in a hundred years time who's going to care about anything I've ever done
                  True, in a hundred years few people alive now will be remembered, unless they've still got their drunken photos on Facebook.

In a way it's a shame there was nothing more permanent than stone or paper for ancestors to record stuff on. We may have forgotten some really useful things, like how to survive without the internet.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
                    Nothing focuses the mind and clears the crap away like someone you know, and/or love, dying.

Occasionally, when life seems to be piling on the agony, I like to go and sit by the sea. The relentless inevitabliity of the waves washes away the worry, after all, in a hundred years time who's going to care about anything I've ever done, but those waves will still be rolling in.
                    You are Reginald Perrin and I claim my 5 Sunshine Desserts.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X