• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Computer Operator?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer Operator?

Now there's a term you don't hear much of these days. I started as a computer operator as it was the only way a numpty like me with no qualifications at all could rise to become one of the world's greatest developers.

The thread about who's been contracting longest got me thinking. Who else here got a start in IT as a Computer Operator? Is anyone still a Computer Operator?
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

My tyre fitter is a computer operator.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I started as a Computer Operator on an IBM 370/158 running OS/VS1 a long time ago...
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        Now there's a term you don't hear much of these days. I started as a computer operator as it was the only way a numpty like me with no qualifications at all could rise to become one of the world's greatest developers.

The thread about who's been contracting longest got me thinking. Who else here got a start in IT as a Computer Operator? Is anyone still a Computer Operator?
        Oh yes, I started on a Data General for an independant opticians and lens manufacturer.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I started on a Burroughs B1900 but mainly I worked on a Honeywell\Bull DPS7 GCOS Mainframe.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I wasn't allowed to Operate A Computer, I just put the hardware on desks to start with!
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
            X