• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

On this day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On this day

Young Tony Blair comes into power, here is how he looked:

It happened exactly 3,008 days before work on SKA started.

Them New Lie ***** have aged me no end.

I'm sure I'd be younger if the Tories were in charge....

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
      Them New Lie ***** have aged me no end.

I'm sure I'd be younger if the Tories were in charge....
      They make you older - that means there will be a new tax coming out soon to tax you on age. Typical they encourage us to do one thing then they tax us on it.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
        Young Tony Blair comes into power, here is how he looked:

It happened exactly 3,008 days before work on SKA started.
        How close to your 1st million £££ are you Atw?

Comment

Too busy counting gold bars that were sold by Gordon Brown on the cheap some years ago, will let you know once I reached 1 mil.

Comment

Yes I remember the great democratic choice I had that day. A discredited Tory sleaze merchant, a seven foot high transvestite, some Nazi from the Albion party, no Labour candidate (withdrawn) and some slightly dippy ex-journalist with a penchant for white suits.

With local elections later this week, here's our choices with key messages..

Tory - we want to build a tip near your house
            Labour - them Tories are sh1t aren't they?
            Independent - we want to build that tip away from your house (but near where your mate lives).

You decide!
            Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Was it worse than NL now? At the time i was finishing my studies in very local Uni (ex-Poly) and was not paying much attention to local politics, so don't know about other ministers but Mr Major seems to come across as a very decent fellow - from what I understand he rejected knighthood and it took the Queen herself to make him a Knight of the Gartner (sp?). Mr Major sounds almost too decent to actually be able to run a modern Govt.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                Was it worse than NL now? At the time i was finishing my studies in very local Uni (ex-Poly) and was not paying much attention to local politics, so don't know about other ministers but Mr Major seems to come across as a very decent fellow - from what I understand he rejected knighthood and it took the Queen herself to make him a Knight of the Gartner (sp?). Mr Major sounds almost too decent to actually be able to run a modern Govt.
                So it seemed at the time. He famously launched a morality crusade called "back to basics" and then was subsequently revealed to be shagging one of his own ministers (Edwina Currie) behind his wife's back.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergeant Apone
                  and then was subsequently revealed to be shagging one of his own ministers (Edwina Currie) behind his wife's back.
                  Do you think if he had it with Edwina and his wife at the same time it would be more acceptable since he would have consent of this wife?

Comment

He famously launched a morality crusade called "back to basics" and then was subsequently revealed to be shagging one of his own ministers (Edwina Currie) behind his wife's back.
                    Two errors in this. Apparently, "Back to basics" wasn't supposed to be a morality campaign (can't remember what it was supposed to be) - that was just a media spin on it, which licensed them to go out and dig up whatever they could. At the time I thought what they dug up was fairly trivial. Although I haven't toted up my overall impression is that worse stuff has been dug up about other parties since. The reason "Tory sleaze" was a bigger deal was because the country was in a state of depression (economically and emotionally) after black wednesday and was ready to latch on to any reason to villify the government. Commentators last week on the triple scandal were speculating that Labour could be approaching a similar state, with voters so sick of them, and that the kind of scandals that up to now have simply bounced off them will now start damaging them.

The second error is that his affair with Edwina ended in the 1980s before he was Prime Minister. (I think it might have ended when he became chancellor under Mrs Thatcher.)

Comment

Working...
                    X