• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Please sign

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please sign

https://submissions.epetitions.direc...etitions/22316

Government want to kill off OU.

Originally posted by russell View Post
    "We the undersigned express our deep concern about the UK government’s policy of making damaging cuts in higher education funding which have led to massive increases in student fees, including a trebling of Open University fees. We fear that this will lead to a significant reduction in students and threaten jobs and that the lack of long term and secure funding for widening participation will make the Open University much less open. We therefore petition the UK government to reverse this policy; so that the Open University can reduce the fee levels it has set in England, in order to remain truly open."

Nope. Won't be signing. Means less competition for us contractors.

Now on your bike your lefty handwringing whinger.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Are OU students eligible for the same size of student loan as normal school leaver undergrads?
      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

I've signed it.

Personally I think we should still be giving means tested grants. I understand the argument that those who go to university benefit therefore they should pay, but it simply isn't the case that they are the only beneficiaries (the government will reap increased tax revenue, business gets a more capable workforce, and higher earning educated people place less of a burden on the NHS and other services) and it seems much more reasonable that everyone who benefits should share the cost.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          I've signed it.

Personally I think we should still be giving means tested grants. I understand the argument that those who go to university benefit therefore they should pay, but it simply isn't the case that they are the only beneficiaries (the government will reap increased tax revenue, business gets a more capable workforce, and higher earning educated people place less of a burden on the NHS and other services) and it seems much more reasonable that everyone who benefits should share the cost.
          I'd agree with this if I also felt that university was a good option for most of the people who currently go. Sadly that hasn't been the case for many years. More than half the people who go to university would be far better off going straight into work.
          "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

I've signed, even though this only applies to England.

The OU is too valuable a route into higher education to allow this kind of increase in fees.

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
              I'd agree with this if I also felt that university was a good option for most of the people who currently go. Sadly that hasn't been the case for many years. More than half the people who go to university would be far better off going straight into work.
              Yes, I'm inclined to agree with that. The trouble is that good vocational training options seem to be few and far between these days, or at least that's the impression I have, and I think you need that to keep people learning. IT firms ought to be taking on school leavers and helping them through part time vocational courses (e.g. BTEC & HND) rather than reaching overseas for cheap labour.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Nope. Won't be signing. Means less competition for us contractors.

Now on your bike your lefty handwringing whinger.
                +1

Not that I've ever seen any Open University degree-toting worker as "competition".

Comment

It doesn't say anything about the government killing off the OU.

We've already had riots in the streets over tuition fees, so a politely worded e-petition seems a little redundant.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    It doesn't say anything about the government killing off the OU.

We've already had riots in the streets over tuition fees, so a politely worded e-petition seems a little redundant.
                    I think the difference is the nature of Open University students. A £2500 per module fee (you need 6 modules for a degree - 2 equates to a year's full time study) will stop people signing up in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                    X