• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

for frack sake please stop this now

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for frack sake please stop this now

Shale Pioneers Plan Next English Wells After Fracking Causes Earthquake - Bloomberg

AFAIK, fracking only sets off quakes that would have happened anyway and can't start mega death quakes; the fracking energy input is minuscule compared to what the earth (and moon) does. That's not to say it couldn't leave nice big holes in the surface where your house was though.

Comment

So all those houses subsiding because they're over a coal mine would have subsided anyway?

Anyhow, I'm not that bothered if Blackpool does disappear down a big hole. They can finally build Blackpool Vegas then.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

The other problem with fracking is that the stuff they pump down there and the gas released can end up polluting drinking water.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Yes industrial activity can potentially pollute the drinking water but it doesn´t. Drinking water is constantly monitored, and there are strict limits. Fracking is going on all over the world, and there are no reports of drinking water pollution. There are however a few fraudsters on the internet who set fire to "drinking water" just to get some attention.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

We desperately need this gas, it will transform the energy landscape of the entire UK, just like it has in the USA. It will also make a huge difference to the economy of the north west of England. Shale gas is potentially the best news I have ever heard of in my lifetime here in the NW.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              We desperately need this gas, it will transform the energy landscape of the entire UK, just like it has in the USA. It will also make a huge difference to the economy of the north west of England. Shale gas is potentially the best news I have ever heard of in my lifetime here in the NW.
              Last chance saloon for the UK too. Once that's gone, we're all out of fossils. Nice while it lasted.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                The other problem with fracking is that the stuff they pump down there and the gas released can end up polluting drinking water.
                The fracking formation fluids include gas, oil, salt water and fresh water.

Not really different from any other type of fossil fuel extraction process.

Remember, the fossil fuel is in porous rock, not as the MSM like to depict, vast caves filled with fluid and gas which will collapse like a council house renovated by a bunch of tattoo emblazoned pikeys.
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Last chance saloon for the UK too. Once that's gone, we're all out of fossils. Nice while it lasted.
                  That's if you're not counting the hundreds of years worth of coal down there. I've been mildly surprised that coal seam gas extraction hasn't been developed over here, it's big business in Australia now.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

And anyway, Blackpool is a small price to pay

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X