• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bleeding radiators

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bleeding radiators

The rad in our bedroom is not working. SY06 is due in 3 weeks so I would like to get this fixed. As I am tight I don't want to pay a plumber.

The rad valve to the left of the radiator was seized, and the themostatic valve which sits on top of the pin was corroded. I have freed it with some WD40 and now the pin can be depressed with my thumb and when I release it returns. It is weeping slightly though which may well explain the corrosion in the theromostatic valve.

The stop valve at the other end of the radiator has been fully opened and the radiator bleeds ok (I think - slow dribble).

However the frakin thing just won't come on. I suspect either a gummed up valve or air lock. I have tried turning off all the other rads to try and clear the suspected air lock. Still no joy.

I have tried tapping the radiator all the way along in case this shifts something. Still no joy.

So when you bleed a radiator should it piss out like a stallions first pee of the day or be more of a dribble? Could the rad valve (the weeping one) be faulty? Ie full of chalk?

Any ideas?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

You need to address the weeping valve

Drain the system down sufficient to remove fluid from the upper circuit
    Remove and replace both valves
    Take rad outside and flush with hosepipe
    Refill with Fernox or similar
    sorted

Shouldn't take more than a morning to do & anything else is just faffing about
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Yes, I think Troll has it nailed. I'm a big fan of Fernox too, it is fantastic stuff. You need a new TRV anyway, the leak will only get worse and it will stick again.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        You need to address the weeping valve

Drain the system down sufficient to remove fluid from the upper circuit
        Remove and replace both valves
        Take rad outside and flush with hosepipe
        Refill with Fernox or similar
        sorted

Shouldn't take more than a morning to do & anything else is just faffing about
        I now have the rad working. Shutting of all other rads did the trick. I do not take the weeping valve lightly. What is the chances of waiting this out until the more clement weather before draining down or is this a FIX IT NOW type of problem?

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        Yes, I think Troll has it nailed. I'm a big fan of Fernox too, it is fantastic stuff. You need a new TRV anyway, the leak will only get worse and it will stick again.
        Is Fernox what the previous plumber called "inhibitor"? He said he put that in.

Thanks all for the quality replies. Have 10 Suityou01 bedwetting points each.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          I now have the rad working. Shutting of all other rads did the trick. I do not take the weeping valve lightly. What is the chances of waiting this out until the more clement weather before draining down or is this a FIX IT NOW type of problem?

Is Fernox what the previous plumber called "inhibitor"? He said he put that in.

Thanks all for the quality replies. Have 10 Suityou01 bedwetting points each.
          it isn't exactly -20c below outside at the moment so with a sprog due to land shortly I would do it before rather than later

Like I said a morning should do it
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

This is the Fernox stuff, it really helps to keep central heating systems working well. I tend to drain the water down enough to empty the head tank and clean it out about every 5 years or so, you'd be surprised how much gunk collects in there over the years even when using Fernox. Then when refilling I just tip a bottle of Fernox into the tank as I'm refilling. Drain down a bit more to draw the Fernox into the system and that's it for another 5 years. Works a treat.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Radiators? Pah. Leave the heating on all the time or wait 2 hours for the house to warm up. Sane people use warm air. No probs, apart from constantly patching the flue with chewing gum.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

But you have tried bleeding the radiators haven't you? I mean really tried?

There's never a norrahe around when you need one

PS - looking forward to the baby news
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post

It's like the witches of Eastwick!

Comment

Working...
                    X