• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Huhne plans 32,000 more wind turbines

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huhne plans 32,000 more wind turbines

- I think we should consider colours other than white for our clean energy producing turbines, purple, yellow and red perhaps -

The government is proposing to build up to 32,000 new wind turbines with many thousands more transmission pylons as it struggles to meet green targets.

A report by Chris Huhne’s Department of Energy and Climate Change says the huge expansion is essential if Britain is to meet its obligations to cut greenhouse gas emissions.

At present, there are about 3,000 onshore wind turbines with a few hundred offshore. They have helped cut carbon emissions but generate only 1-2% of the nation’s power.

The energy secretary wants to convert all Britain’s vehicles and homes to run on electricity by 2050. This means Britain must sharply increase electricity production, perhaps even doubling it, with almost all of it coming from low-carbon sources including wind and nuclear power.

The construction programme would transform Britain’s wildest landscapes, with an estimated 6,000 to 10,000 new turbines needed onshore and up to 25,000 offshore, many visible from land.

Wind turbines, along with nuclear power, are regarded as the most economically viable green energy source unless there are dramatic technological improvements in solar and wave power.

According to RenewableUK, the wind industry’s lobbying organisation, 43 new wind parks are under construction with 1,251 turbines. Councils have approved a further 2,115 turbines at 245 wind farms.

Huhne’s carbon plan proposes that in 20 years renewable energy, mainly wind, should have been expanded tenfold from 5 gigawatts to 50GW.

By 2050 renewable power generation may have to rise to 80GW, roughly equal to Britain’s entire current generating capacity.

Huhne said yesterday: “The carbon plan is a road map for a new industrial revolution in which low-carbon electricity powers the economy and protects us from reliance on imports from volatile parts of the world.”

The plan envisages a big role for new nuclear plants. One a year should be built from 2019.

There are now about 22,000 pylons, but Huhne’s plan means that thousands more will be needed.
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...icle835755.ece
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Double the windmills, double the number of CCGTs on spinning standby burning fossil fuels.

Nice irony.

If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      - I think we should consider colours other than white for our clean energy producing turbines, purple, yellow and red perhaps -
      Bourbon dynasty ???
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Did you Know?

interesting factoid #1 - We all know that wind turbine lekky is expensive. But did you know that the costs are calculated at the foot od the windmill ? i.e. the transmission costs are not included. The rest of the grid picks up the transmission costs.

so not only are these things subsidised once, they get a second hidden subsidy

grrr
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          Did you Know?

interesting factoid #1 - We all know that wind turbine lekky is expensive. But did you know that the costs are calculated at the foot od the windmill ? i.e. the transmission costs are not included. The rest of the grid picks up the transmission costs.

so not only are these things subsidised once, they get a second hidden subsidy

grrr
          idd EO, and also, you can't simply "plug in" windmills to the Grid windy nilly as it simply spikes the Grid causing instability.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
            idd EO, and also, you can't simply "plug in" windmills to the Grid windy nilly as it simply spikes the Grid causing instability.
            When will the eejits come to us and say 'Guess what ? we have found a way of REDUCING your lekky bill'

eejits

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

When will the eejits come to us and say 'Guess what ? we have found a way of REDUCING your lekky bill'

eejits

When the <pjclarke shield="full strength">Climate Warming/Change/BearManPig big money goes away</pjclarke>

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                When the <pjclarke shield="full strength">Climate Warming/Change/BearManPig big money goes away</pjclarke>

That sounds like a spell from 'Baldurs Gate' or something

<Gaia attacked by CO2 - 14 damage>
                <Gaia attacked by HyperD - 1 damage>
                <pjclarke casts 'Shield of full strength'>
                <Battle over. Gaia eats HypeD and EO. pjClarke gains 200 experience>

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

That sounds like a spell from 'Baldurs Gate' or something

<Gaia attacked by CO2 - 14 damage>
                  <Gaia attacked by HyperD - 1 damage>
                  <pjclarke casts 'Shield of full strength'>
                  <Battle over. Gaia eats HypeD and EO. pjClarke gains 200 experience>

<hyperD cast 'Intimidating Shout' mkay - rejuventates 200 health, destroys 50 windmillls, fights for another day>

Comment

Double the windmills, double the number of CCGTs on spinning standby burning fossil fuels
                    Quite. Typically sane comment from one of the only (well, one of two actually) engineers who actually has any proper grasp of the concepts. Anyone else actually worked on power stations here? No?
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X