• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Antique

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antique

I wish to leave my guardian a token of my appreciation making her a gift of a grandmother clock that I have seen in an
    antique shop.

if is this genuine antique is this a certain age over which this item must be so if I make purchase from antique shop it will be genuine antique or should I demand there is some provenance to guarantee age of clock?

You'd want to ensure the clock mechanism and the case are 'matched' or you might find you've bought an old mechanism in a reproduction case (or vice-versa).

If you are buying it from a reputable dealer they would be happy to detail exactly what they are saying you're getting on the receipt.

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
      You'd want to ensure the clock mechanism and the case are 'matched' or you might find you've bought an old mechanism in a reproduction case (or vice-versa).

If you are buying it from a reputable dealer they would be happy to detail exactly what they are saying you're getting on the receipt.
      There is no longer a working mechanism inside clock but the casing is antique walnut veneer.

The front of the case opens to reveal small built in television and midi hifi system.

This part is patently obviously not antique but I am keen to know about the authenticity of the casing as this gift is for a lady of impeccable taste.

Comment

Originally posted by Hill Station Murthy View Post
        There is no longer a working mechanism inside clock but the casing is antique walnut veneer.

The front of the case opens to reveal small built in television and midi hifi system.

This part is patently obviously not antique but I am keen to know about the authenticity of the casing as this gift is for a lady of impeccable taste.
        Nothing says impeccable taste like a TV/Hi Fi combo in a clock case!

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Is it a chippendale hifi/clock unit i believe they were very popular around 1770 !!!!!! sorry i meant 1970

Comment

It's a fake. The real ones have two little people who come out and dance around when it's time for eastenders.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  It's a fake. The real ones have two little people who come out and dance around when it's time for eastenders.
                  That's a new one. The one that plays the Corrie them is a genuine 100+ old original.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                  X