• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Did you know?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you know?

An English monarch died in Frome.

Have lived in the area all my life but didn't know this.

King Athelstan held a witan there in 934 and King Eadred died there in 955.

Of course, England's first true king, Edgar, was crowned down the road in Bath in 973. I remember going to the 1000th anniversary celebrations.

Other local royal connections include Ethelred the Unready (Shaftesbury) through to the present day's royal connections to Gloucestershire.

Not to mention King Alfred who burnt his cakes somewhere on the A361 between Street and Taunton.

Incidentally, Shaftesbury Abbey is well worth a look for all you CUK history buffs.

There is a very nice tea shop nearby where you can have refreshments after your visit before heading to Gold Hill, the narrow vertiginous street used in the TV Hovis adverts.

Comment

Half of Napoleon's descendants (well, 3 I think) are buried in Farnborough, one of whom was killed in the less famous battle that occurred before Rorke's Drift.

Comment

I did not have good lunch today.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Half of Napoleon's descendants (well, 3 I think) are buried in Farnborough, one of whom was killed in the less famous battle that occurred before Rorke's Drift.
          Having trouble spelling Isandlwana perchance?
          Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
            Having trouble spelling Isandlwana perchance?
            Nope, the little battle by the river. Well, not so much battle as some natives rushing up and stabbing him.

Comment

Working...
            X