• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Driving Seat vol. CI

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Driving Seat vol. CI

Aaagh! Crazy day today - over to ClientCo City, work late, then drive all the way back so I can be up early in the morning to go and have a tooth pulled Hence an even worse than usual delay in getting this fine reading matter to you:
    • What it Looks Like Inside Amazon.com - "Lots of boxes and little people. This is where your crap comes from." As this is the Swansea warehouse, the headline should really say "Amazon.co.uk".

• Tea: Debaucher of Youth? - "This terrible foreign invader encouraged young men to stay 'a lurking in the bed' rather than earning an honest wage. It turned women to harlotry and insolence, caused atrocious child neglect, and was armed to carry everyone off to their grave a decade early. This enemy of virtue? Why, tea, of course." Lots of other good stuff on this Georgian history blog.

• AIDS Education Posters - "The posters represented here were given to the UR’s Rare Books and Special Collections by Dr. Edward C. Atwater beginning in 2007. The posters, over 6200 of them, document efforts to educate and inform the people of over 100 countries in over 60 languages, from 1982 to the present."

• Why I’m Publishing My P.I. Series on Kindle - "The short answer is this: A writer writes to be read, and the two P.I. novels I wrote that were sitting on my hard drive weren’t being read by anyone. I wanted people to read them, to be entertained by them." Writer Chris Orcutt then goes on to give the long answer, with interesting and amusing insights into the world of publishing, agents, and film rights.

• In pictures: The world’s loneliest places* – captured on Google Street View - "Aaron Hobson was using Google Street View to scout for potential locations to shoot a new film in LA when he realised the site had huge potential for exploring some of the more off-the-beaten-track parts of the world." There's some godforsaken places in this gallery.

• Anti-pattern theater: how to get women to quit - "It seems a bit boring to keep talking about things in terms of 'how do you get women on your team' or 'how do you keep them on your team'. Let's mix it up a little and play it as an anti-pattern instead this time. How do you piss off a technical woman so she will leave your team?" "Rachel by the Bay" recounts her experiences. Loads of good techie posts on her site, too

• Top 5 Regrets of The Dying - "For many years I worked in palliative care. My patients were those who had gone home to die. Some incredibly special times were shared. I was with them for the last three to twelve weeks of their lives." Bonnie Ware shares what her patients shared with her.

• The Berkeley Pit - a massively polluted lake in Butte, Montana, is proving to be home to extremophilic organisms which promise to be of value in medicine, including in the treatment of cancer. "...when employees of the Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology venture out onto the lake, they do so in a boat that’s made of fiberglass (as opposed to aluminum), 'because they don’t want it to dissolve before they get back to shore.'"

• The Motorcycle Gangs - Hunter S. Thompson's original 1965 article about the Hell's Angels, which led to his book of that name and established his career.

• Accidental Chinese Hipsters - "A loving gaze cast upon the grandmother wearing dayglow jeggings and a visor." Ironically, the site is blocked in mainland China, presumably because they don't want to encourage people to dress like this:

Happy invoicing!

great links as always Nick..

How true the top 5 regrets are, i'd say most of them are actually what I would say are already my worst fears when I'm old
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Good stuff. Lord knows how you have the time to pull these together, but good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
        great links as always Nick..

How true the top 5 regrets are, i'd say most of them are actually what I would say are already my worst fears when I'm old
        The fact this is on that page discredits it a bit IMO:

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

that berkeley pit bit was fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
            that berkeley pit bit was fascinating.
            WDS23S

Thanks for the links Nick - keep them coming!

Comment

Working...
            X