• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Guitar Hero/Rock Band Drums...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guitar Hero/Rock Band Drums...

I've never played drums but always fancied the idea of trying... however I don't want a real kit or to splash out on an expensive electric kit just to see if I like it.

So I was wondering about getting a set for my PS3 instead. The guitar is a toy but I hear the drums are not bad since you are actually having to play them, not just push buttons.

Anyone here - musical or not - got any opinions on this? I DON'T want to use this to become a drummer... just something to play with and see if I can learn to keep a rhythm, etc. It would be interesting to know if you CAN just play the kit freestyle though, rather than just do what you're told on-screen.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I've never played drums but always fancied the idea of trying... however I don't want a real kit or to splash out on an expensive electric kit just to see if I like it.

So I was wondering about getting a set for my PS3 instead. The guitar is a toy but I hear the drums are not bad since you are actually having to play them, not just push buttons.

Anyone here - musical or not - got any opinions on this? I DON'T want to use this to become a drummer... just something to play with and see if I can learn to keep a rhythm, etc. It would be interesting to know if you CAN just play the kit freestyle though, rather than just do what you're told on-screen.
    Thats like saying i want to learn to drive but rather than buy a real car if i ride around in this kids pedal car will it be the same.

unfortunately you have to play whats on the screen to get the feel but for a couple of hundred you can pickup a decent electric set, plug your headphones in and away you go not annoying anyone but yourself and if you don't get on with them stick em back on Ebay

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
      Thats like saying i want to learn to drive but rather than buy a real car if i ride around in this kids pedal car will it be the same.

unfortunately you have to play whats on the screen to get the feel but for a couple of hundred you can pickup a decent electric set, plug your headphones in and away you go not annoying anyone but yourself and if you don't get on with them stick em back on Ebay
      WSMS

Try Maplin's who do a really decent one for £249.

EBuyer used to do a kit that was pretty decent for £175 but you'd need to check.

Again, play with and if you don't like it, punt it. They sell pretty easily.
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

The drums are ok - a bit on the fragile side though

Having said that, it is fun and the game aspect should keep you focussed, plus you can play along to songs you know already which helps.
        Add to that the different difficulty levels, practice modes etc, it should help you get the practice you need to hold a rhythm.

If you decide it's not for you, at least you've still got a fun game for when mates/family come round

There may be some methods for banging away freestyle, all the game sites are blocked from my client co though
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Do you get a bass drum pedal? That would be the deal breaker for me.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            Do you get a bass drum pedal? That would be the deal breaker for me.
            yes and it's fairly substantial as well (speaking as a none-drummer)
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

The experience of playing the drums on RockBand/GHero is certainly closer to playing the real instrument than it is for the guitar, but it's still very much just a simulation / game.

A couple of people I know have gone on to buy a real drum kit having been addicted to the game version and played it to death. They lost interest in the real istrument pretty quickly though because it's such a step up.
              It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                Snob.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  yes and it's fairly substantial as well (speaking as a none-drummer)
                  That's the main kind of thing I'm interested in - does it require you to use more than two limbs at once? If yes then in my book it's something I can play with to judge interest, if not then I might as well just play desk-bongos.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                    A couple of people I know have gone on to buy a real drum kit having been addicted to the game version and played it to death. They lost interest in the real istrument pretty quickly though because it's such a step up.
                    Normally you would not get near a drum kit for a year if you were learning to play the drums. Lots of dull rudiments on the snare drum with traditional grip.

people these days... just want it all too quick...

Comment

Working...
                    X