• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

part-time virtual contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

part-time virtual contracting

I'm hoping you can give some pointers to a newbie, as i've checked the FAQ's and haven't really seen an answer. I was a permie (i've been reading some of the posts and went over to Holland with my company; Dell and later was made redundant. I am now looking at the possibility of part-time virtual contracting.

My experience is giving advice, analysis and project management for websites, from a more business than technical point of view. This is experience in SEO, project management, ecommerce statistics etc. As a remote worker i never visited the offices but gave presentations online. I feel that with this experience it should be possible to work from home in Holland but for a UK agency. I could approach the Dutch agencies, but my spoken dutch is just ok. In addition I have set up and closed down Dutch and UK ltd companies before, so I believe I will be ok with the practical administration matters.

So my questions are :
    - is part-time working from home possible ? my 'part time site:forums.contractoruk.com' google search didn't fill me with confidence.
    - if so do you know any agencies that are worth approaching ?

any advice or thoughts on feasibility are appreciated.

You will struggle to get roles for full time work from home though, they are out there but for seasoned contractors that have established themselves well. The chance of coming straight in on a cushy number like this in a flat market are slim to nil I would say. The experience areas you mention hardly seem niche either.

I would most definately have this as a Plan B and get a proper role to get contract work on your CV. If you plan on this you could be gathering a lot of splinters!
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      they are out there but for seasoned contractors that have established themselves well.
      This - have you published books, presented on conferences, do you have a website and a twiter feed with thousands of followers? If not, how can you advise on that?

Netherlands are not a bad place to be doing contracting non-remotely - you could easily commute to Amsterdam, Brussels or Paris

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I may look at something locally to get experience first, and like you say think of the UK as a plan B.

Comment

Working...
        X