• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Developernomics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Developernomics

The Rise of Developeronomics - Forbes
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

But there is one safe haven, if you know how to invest in it: software developers.

Worth our weight in gold.

Fire up the spam bots and send that link to all the companies in the UK, before they decide Bob is a good software developer.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      The thing is, software talent is extraordinarily nonlinear. It even has a name: the 10x engineer (the colloquial idea, originally due to Frederick Brooks, that a good programmer isn’t just marginally more productive than an average one, but an order of magnitude more productive). In software, leverage increases exponentially with expertise due to the very nature of the technology.
      So true.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I know my place.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Definitely true.

On one project me and another 4 contractors (2 developers, 1 data messer-abouter, 1 tester, 1 project manger) were replaced with around 30 IBM numpties.

Typically, the solution not only became unnecessarily more complex but the consultants raped the company on the usual service/support scam.

IBM? I've tulip em.
          Last edited by PAH; 6 December 2011, 15:14.
          Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

I have thought about this, but it's the first time I have seen it summed up so well.

As software eats the world and every company turns into a software company
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Also true of the internet. Lots of stuff can be replaced with online services, as can be seen with the death of the high street.

And they all need software too.
              Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                Lots of stuff can be replaced with online services, as can be seen with the death of the high street.
                True.

This'll be the third year in a row that all the Christmas pressie shopping has been done online. No queuing for a parking space, trudging about in the wind and rain, being pushed from all angles, getting unbrellas in your face only to face the poor, ill-informed, often indifferent, and sometimes even rude service offered by most High Street retailers (despite facing declining sales) and to pay over the odds for the privilege too.
                The vegetarian option.

Comment

It goes further than that too. Music, movies, books, games, communication (TV, telephone, mail) all computerised, all requiring software.

So if you're looking for a skill that can't either be computerised or outsource abroad, there's burger flipper, plumber, builder, electrician, and any other manual labour oriented skill.

Everything else is up for grabs.
                  Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

I've been thinking about becoming a plumber actually. I've always enjoyed flushing my pipes out.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X