• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you take a 50% pay cut?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you take a 50% pay cut?

BBC News - Caparo Merchant Bar steel workers to take 50% pay cut

It would be insteresting to know how many of these firms that impose massive cuts and enforced holidays actually ever made it back in to the black.

You would think a British steel firm is on a wish an a prayer anyway so this is its final swan song.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'd struggle on £400 a day if I did....I suppose one of the Porsches could go, cut out a skiiing holiday, only eat out at Michelin starred restaurants twice a week.....It's doable at a push.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        It would be insteresting to know how many of these firms that impose massive cuts and enforced holidays actually ever made it back in to the black.

You would think a British steel firm is on a wish an a prayer anyway so this is its final swan song.
        I suppose if you trust that your employer won't renege on his side of the agreement it's do-able. Quite possible if it's a family business or privately owned with strong local ties, but I wouldn't trust a PLC with an agreement like that.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

yeah plenty of these large firms do it, we are losing mountains of money please take a pay cut and you find they are making loads of money in a nice little tax haven.

A year later they sack all the staff and start up in Bogata.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            I'd struggle on £400 a day if I did....I suppose one of the Porsches could go, cut out a skiiing holiday, only eat out at Michelin starred restaurants twice a week.....It's doable at a push.

Feck me. It's Dimprawn!
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

No NI for manufacturing jobs could have helped.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                No NI for manufacturing jobs could have helped.
                Wot?
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Wot?
                  National Insurance.

Comment

A lot of us take 100% cuts when we're benched
                    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                    X