• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Limited Company and Divorce

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limited Company and Divorce

If I'm a 100% shareholder would my wife be entitled to any of my company's cash if we were to get divorced?

Been divorced twice and yes.

You may as well let it go bust, fsck off to another country and start all over again. It is much quicker, cheaper and better for your health.

You may wish to ignore this advice, but only if you like nylon sheets, and living in a bedsit with druggies down the hallway.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Bovvered
      If I'm a 100% shareholder would my wife be entitled to any of my company's cash if we were to get divorced?
      And as the Parlour case showed, potentially to a share of your future earnings as well.

Comment

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread as the wife is about to throw the book at me I think. I'm not living up to her expectations by working 25 hours a day rather than the current 24.
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
          I'm going to keep an eye on this thread as the wife is about to throw the book at me I think. I'm not living up to her expectations by working 25 hours a day rather than the current 24.
          ... but no doubt she is enjoying the fruits of your labour to the full!!

Comment

again... I'm SO going wrong somewhere!!!
            "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Comment

I'm smackbang in the middle of this issue right now with an ex-wife who wants over 50% of the cash in the business (including the tax I have to pay on it of course!!).

What am I doing about it? Running down the cash in the business. It's harder than you'd think to get rid of it with no assets appearing on the bottom line but it's do-able :-)

Suggestions:

Company car
              Training (expensive MBA?)
              Buying another business. (Looked at paying £30K for an internet based business which would give me another revenue stream).

Think literally, think laterally (Didn't DLT say that?)

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
                I'm smackbang in the middle of this issue right now with an ex-wife who wants over 50% of the cash in the business (including the tax I have to pay on it of course!!).

What am I doing about it? Running down the cash in the business. It's harder than you'd think to get rid of it with no assets appearing on the bottom line but it's do-able :-)

Suggestions:

Company car
                Training (expensive MBA?)
                Buying another business. (Looked at paying £30K for an internet based business which would give me another revenue stream).

Think literally, think laterally (Didn't DLT say that?)

Consultant fees from a friendly non associable company (I’ll volunteer mine for a small nominal fee

Comment

what I want to know is why women are able to claim they are "owed" this money?

did they give up their careers to stay at home and look after the kids? To be honest off the top of my head that's the only situation I can think of that would justify the claim, however having never been married perhaps I'm just not fully aware of the different situations,
                  "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Comment

Originally posted by janey
                    what I want to know is why women are able to claim they are "owed" this money?

did they give up their careers to stay at home and look after the kids? To be honest off the top of my head that's the only situation I can think of that would justify the claim, however having never been married perhaps I'm just not fully aware of the different situations,

... yeah the things you do for a shag eh?

Comment

Working...
                    X