• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business Abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business Abroad

I am currently contracting in the UK, but a new project will mean having to travel occasionally to Saudi Arabia. These trips will be fully funded by my client (air travel, hotel, transport, food etc) but the question is should I be charging a daily rate for being (a) out of the country, (b) visiting a country that is currently a high security risk?

My initial thoughts are to charge a 50% surcharge whilst there, or just to take time in leiu once I return to the UK. Just wondering if anyone else has done anything similiar?

Thanks in advance

Just get your contract to state;

UK rate = x ph
    Overseas rate = y ph + expenses

I would also negotiate about travel time!! Is it billable? Are you expected to be straight on site after getting off a 12hr flight. Travelling on weekends etc...

HTH

Comment

Can't you ask them to pay you in Saudi and then forget to mention it to the IR? That'll be worth 60% I guess.

You're safer in Saudi than walking around London, they're much nicer people and more speak English as well.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by j4b3
        take time in leiu once I return to the UK
        Time off in lieu is something that permanent employees do rather than service companies.

Dangerous from an IR35 perspective

Comment

I would suggest that you might take these time off in lieu out of the country, if you build up enough days then you can save a lot of tax (but ask an accountant how to do this first)
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Ask for travelling time.

Check that you have adequate insurance - if not, get the client to top this up.

If you're expected to pay for hotels/car hire up front and then claim it back later ensure that the client will process your expenses as soon as you submit them.

Obtain a float in Dollars, sterling and whatever the currency is of the country that you're visiting to cover incidentals.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

The client is sorting all expenses (air fare, hotel, meals), there should be nothing to pay out for. I will be charging for travelling time and also weekends (as I am away from home).

Unfortunately, I have just signed a new contract before this cane up, but will get future contracts to include a UK and overseas rate.

We negotiating now, I have suggested a 50% premium for working days - just waiting for their response.

Comment

Originally posted by j4b3
                I will be charging for travelling time and also weekends (as I am away from home).
                Isn't this a little dangerous from an IR35 perspective. The travel time you could probably get away with but I doubt claiming for weekends will sit you in good stead.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                X