• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Name pronunciations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Name pronunciations

I get an email from someone who as part of the email sig states how to pronounce their name.

Another guy has last name of Sugar, but he pronounces it as ‘Soooogaar’.

What is the point?

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    I get an email from someone who as part of the email sig states how to pronounce their name.

What is the point?
    Its natures way of telling you to avoid them
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post

What is the point?
      It saves having to guess. For instance most round here pronounce Wilslow as w-i-m-p

Comment

Problem is emails/letters from women who sign name+surname. Replying with Dear christian name+surname seems wierd, you can't put Dear christian name to somebody you don't know but is it Dear Miss x, Ms x or Mrs X?

I lay awake many nights worrying about this. How do others solve this major dilemma?

Ps Ms seems obvious but it gets feminists in a rage and you may get a letter bomb by return.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Problem is emails/letters from women who sign name+surname. Replying with Dear christian name+surname seems wierd, you can't put Dear christian name to somebody you don't know but is it Dear Miss x, Ms x or Mrs X?

I lay awake many nights worrying about this. How do others solve this major dilemma?
          Refuse to have anything to do with them and insist on speaking to a man.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Ps Ms seems obvious but it gets feminists in a rage and you may get a letter bomb by return.
            Honeybunch?

Dear Madam?
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

you can't put Dear christian name to somebody you don't know

Yes you can. If they take offence it's up to them to let you know their preferred salutation if they haven't provided something less personal.

i.e. This should be way down the list of things keeping you awake at night. At the top of my such list is a fit blonde, but she doesn't like me calling her at all.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

There is a guy at my current clientco whose surname is Fan but we pronounce it with a "c", to rhyme with "runt".
                "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

The current mrs stek reminds me constantly it's not 'ROMan AbROMovich', it's pronounced 'raMAN AbramOVich'...

Unstressed 'o' is pronounced 'a' in Russian, like 'spasiba' - not 'spasibo'...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    The current mrs stek reminds me constantly it's not 'ROMan AbROMovich', it's pronounced 'raMAN AbramOVich'...

Unstressed 'o' is pronounced 'a' in Russian, like 'spasiba' - not 'spasibo'...
                    You say Spasiba, I say Spasibo.
                    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Working...
                    X