• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Patronising bi@tch: what would you do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patronising bi@tch: what would you do?

So here is the story. I have been chasing this contract for long time. My contact with the company is a great guy, we seem to like each other, money would be good! The problem is that he's rarely available and in his absence his interface with the world is this horrible bi@tch from HR, PR, recruitment dept and God knows what else, computer illiterate, doesn't like me a bit, undermines me before the boss(es), patronises me over the phone, gives me very tight deadlines, in a word sabotages my chances. I am so frustrated I am on the verge of emailing the nice lady and vomit my mind out, obviously that would cost me the contract. On the other hand I could shut up and put up but I hate the idea of having this 'thing' getting in my way all the time and I would probably give up. In either case should I contact the guy and explain why I would give up, in the hope of keeping the contact alive for the future (who knows, maybe she will quit or will be fired one day) or should I just walk away and forget the whole thing?
    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    So here is the story. I have been chasing this contract for long time. My contact with the company is a great guy, we seem to like each other, money would be good! The problem is that he's rarely available and in his absence his interface with the world is this horrible bi@tch from HR, PR, recruitment dept and God knows what else, computer illiterate, doesn't like me a bit, undermines me before the boss(es), patronises me over the phone, gives me very tight deadlines, in a word sabotages my chances. I am so frustrated I am on the verge of emailing the nice lady and vomit my mind out, obviously that would cost me the contract. On the other hand I could shut up and put up but I hate the idea of having this 'thing' getting in my way all the time and I would probably give up. In either case should I contact the guy and explain why I would give up, in the hope of keeping the contact alive for the future (who knows, maybe she will quit or will be fired one day) or should I just walk away and forget the whole thing?
    Take a leak in her in-tray and move on to something better.

Comment

Deadlines? Why does someone you don't work for set deadlines???

Anyway. The advice here is this.

Always, always, always get HR or the bosses PA on side. Yes they're up their own arse. Yes they think that by being near the position of power they are in power and yes they have a habit of looking down on you. Which is why you need to schmooze.

Schmoozing is good. Shmoozing is clever. Plus I like saying schmoozing.

Get the gatekeeper on side and it's plain sailing. Get them offside and you're in with as much chance as a tramp asking Dimprawn to lend him 20p for a cup of tea.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

FFS... pull the HR biatch aside and state that you don't seem to be getting along too well and get her to explain what the issue is.

Most people don't like to be confronted like this, and she will probably spout bollocks or say that there is no problem. Then (nicely) make it clear you have not been happy about x, y, and z happening.

She will probably get the message that you don't put up with this kind of crap. If she declines to talk, or if she reacts badly, go to your contact - in person is better than email and say that HR biatch is doing x, y and z and that it's impacting your ability to do your job effectively.

He will then be forced to either confront her and tell her to stop being a biatch, do nothing (spineless) or give you the flick.

At least you'll know where you stand.

The older I get the less bollocks I put up with and 99% of people respect me for it
        Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Deadlines? Why does someone you don't work for set deadlines???

Anyway. The advice here is this.

Always, always, always get HR or the bosses PA on side. Yes they're up their own arse. Yes they think that by being near the position of power they are in power and yes they have a habit of looking down on you. Which is why you need to schmooze.

Schmoozing is good. Shmoozing is clever. Plus I like saying schmoozing.

Get the gatekeeper on side and it's plain sailing. Get them offside and you're in with as much chance as a tramp asking Dimprawn to lend him 20p for a cup of tea.
          All of what MF said, plus please use white space in your posts
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
            FFS... pull the HR biatch aside and state that you don't seem to be getting along too well and get her to explain what the issue is.

Most people don't like to be confronted like this, and she will probably spout bollocks or say that there is no problem. Then (nicely) make it clear you have not been happy about x, y, and z happening.

She will probably get the message that you don't put up with this kind of crap. If she declines to talk, or if she reacts badly, go to your contact - in person is better than email and say that HR biatch is doing x, y and z and that it's impacting your ability to do your job effectively.

He will then be forced to either confront her and tell her to stop being a biatch, do nothing (spineless) or give you the flick.

At least you'll know where you stand.

The older I get the less bollocks I put up with and 99% of people respect me for it
            Sig material
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Oh and MarillionFan's advice is good too. If schmoozing doesn't work, confront it.

I must admit schmoozing is my default behaviour and it's served me well
              Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
                Oh and MarillionFan's advice is good too. If schmoozing doesn't work, confront it.

I must admit schmoozing is my default behaviour and it's served me well
                This would put you in the 1% that you referred to in your previous post.
                "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
                  So here is the story. I have been chasing this contract for long time. My contact with the company is a great guy, we seem to like each other, money would be good! The problem is that he's rarely available and in his absence his interface with the world is this horrible bi@tch from HR
                  He is not such a great guy if he's using the HR person as an interface. I have little respect for companies that won't deal with me directly, but choose to push some Torture Cat onto me instead.

If they have a real interest in getting the job done, they'll deal with you directly. Otherwise there's a strong possibility they're just enjoying themselves at your expense.
                  Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

The problem is that you say, 'tə-mah-toh,' and she says, 'tə-may-toh.'

You need to start speaking her language. You should suggest that the two of you attend weekly professional mediation sessions with an independent facilitator. Then you can cooperate in resolving your mutual issues in a safe and non-judgmental environment.

Comment

Working...
                    X