• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This time in 14 years Rod

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This time in 14 years Rod

In a tearful plea for mercy before a Chicago court, Blagojevich said he had made "terrible mistakes" but insisted he did not know he was breaking the law when he sought $1.5m in bribes.

“My life is ruined, at least now,” he told the court. “My political career is over, I can’t be a lawyer anymore. (AtW's comment: interesting that despite being lawyer he did not know he was breaking the law, hmmmm - a few more years to be added for lieing under oath or for incompetence?) We can’t afford the home we live in, we’re trying to sell it.

“I have nobody to blame but myself for my stupidity and actions and the things I did and I thought I could do."

The stiff sentence handed down by District Judge James Zagel came a day after Blagojevich admitted 18 charges of corruption and brings to an end a three-year legal battle that began with a phone tap made by the FBI shortly after the 2008 election.

One the recording, the 54-year-old described his power to handpick a new senator to fill President Obama's seat as "f------ golden" and was heard speculating about how it could be sold to raise campaign funds.

Among the most damning charges was that he held up funding to every children's hospital in the state after one hospital failed to give money to his campaign.

“He lied repeatedly. He is incredibly manipulative and he knows how to be. To his credit, he is clever about it,” prosecutor Reid Schar said.

In a bid to have the sentence reduced Blagojevich's lawyers submitted a statement from his wife Patti and one of his daughters, but the judge was unmoved and questioned claims that he was "wonderful father".

The twice-elected Democrat, who came to power on a promise to sweep corruption from his state's politics, is the second consecutive Illinois governor to be sentenced to prison and the fourth to be jailed in the last 40 years.

His Republican predecessor, George Ryan, is still serving his six and a half year sentence, also for corruption.

Source: Rod Blagojevich sentenced to 14 years over attempted sale of Obama's senate seat - Telegraph

Working...
X