• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Distractions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distractions

Current gig involves writing software for digital TV set top boxes. At this moment I'm finding it very hard to concentrate on work, rather than sit back and watch Only Fools and Horses on the telly that's sitting on my desk

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Current gig involves writing software for digital TV set top boxes. At this moment I'm finding it very hard to concentrate on work, rather than sit back and watch Only Fools and Horses on the telly that's sitting on my desk
    My current gig has a large bank of TV's, luckily they are all ways set on Jeremy Kyle/Loose Women etc so I avoid the distraction quite easily
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

You're lucky.
      At Telewest I had MTV.

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
        You're lucky.
        At Telewest I had MTV.
        Some years back, I did an interactive TV gig with a company in Sweden. Who had a wall of TVs in reception showing every channel they screened.

And I do mean EVERY channel
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Years ago I worked at Granada media and sat next to the production desk for the GMTV website team. Not only were we subjected to it live, but then had to see it again and again throughout the afternoon as the team sorted out the site

No wonder I can't stand day time tv
          Last edited by norrahe; 8 December 2011, 15:08.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

If it's Sky, is there a way to grab recorded programs via FTP or something?

or at least get onto the box via telnet and have a root around?
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

If your only English speaking TV for several years had been BBC Prime (and CNN ), you'd be heartily sick of Only Fools and Horses.

Fawlty Towers too.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                If it's Sky, is there a way to grab recorded programs via FTP or something?

or at least get onto the box via telnet and have a root around?
                I can get root on the box (it's Linux), but it stops it working. Also, it tells me it has no mail for me

The build on there includes Python 2.6, so maybe I could knock something together to forward the stream

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
                  You're lucky.
                  At Telewest I had MTV.
                  When I worked in Geneva, one place I stayed at only had MTV and the BBC News International thing as the only English channels. There is only so long that you can put up with rolling news that repeats every hour....but that time is extended when it's in competition with pimp my ride or whatever bollxs they have on. Why is it MTV when there is sod all music on it!
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

slightly off topic, but I went to a night club in Camden a few years ago, but it was during the day, like 15:00 ish

The staff were stocking up the shelves and getting ready for the mad house.

They had some sort of projector and Had 'Monty Python and the holy grail' on one of the dance floor walls.

It was probbly the best couple of hours I ever spent in a pub in London

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X