• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company secretary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company secretary

I need to name a secretary for my new limited company.

The question is who is the best person, friend or acquaintance to use for this?

I have heard that it may be best to use my accountant to make sure any legal documentation goes direct to them.

Any comments would be welcome.
    Thanks, Jo

Are you sure you need a cosec? I don't believe that's now a requirement to have a separate cosec - you can act as cosec yourself.
    World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
      Are you sure you need a cosec? I don't believe that's now a requirement to have a separate cosec - you can act as cosec yourself.
      I've just looked in the guide on here and it states, "From 6 April 2008 a private limited company does not have to have a company secretary."

I was out last night and got taking to a few people who insisted I needed a secretary but obviously that's not the case.

Thanks for getting back anyway. Jo

Comment

You don't need a secretary, but I have my other half named as company secretary at Companies House. This is only so she can handle all the paperwork etc to close the company if I get hit by a bus or something.

She's not an employee nor a shareholder, so doesn't receive a salary or dividends.

Comment

Good point to have emergency contact for the company. Will put sister down as secretary.
          Thanks, Jo

Comment

Hi Jo,

You don't need a cosec anymore as you found out from the companies act so you can be sole director. I'd be wary if any accountant appoints themselves as your company secretary.

From a technical point of view, make sure that she is aware of her legal responsibilities if she decides to accept the appointment e.g. ensuring companies house have up to date information on your company, making sure the accounts are filed on time etc

Comment

Thanks for the advise Craig.

I've just started the process of setting up a limited company and selecting an accountant and aim to have in place for the start of the next tax year to keep things clean tax wise.

I've been contracting around a year through OrangeGenie whose service has been excellent, however the tax benefits setting up a limited company outweigh the umbrella support as now I've experience contracting I won't be returning to a permanent role.

Regards, Jo.

Comment

Working...
              X