• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Manchester Airport ....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manchester Airport ....

Give yourself plenty of time there !

... now the rant ! ....

... sadly not surprised upon arrival to see 3 cleaners pitch their trolley near the passport control desks, and overhear them discuss their conditions, rights and joining the union .... welcome to Britain !

But be warned ... getting through departure security can easily take 30 minutes ... serious risk of missing flight ! .... beyond my English to express how woeful ! ...

... of course, there is the duty free maze to negotiate before getting to the departure gates ! .. who's brainwave is that ?

... was told that Manchester Airport is the most advanced airport in Europe .... made me feel proud !

Originally posted by jeremytaxman View Post
    But be warned ... getting through departure security can easily take 30 minutes ... serious risk of missing flight !
    Fly business class or have a frequent flyer gold card.

Waltz through with no problems.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Manchester. Ewwwww.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Fly business class or have a frequent flyer gold card.

Waltz through with no problems.
        I always fly durham tees via amsterdam. You can sail through security in 2 minutes.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Don't go via Leeds Bradford, it's like well Soviet, Sheremetyevo revisited...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            I always fly durham tees via amsterdam. You can sail through security in 2 minutes.
            That's because no-one flies through Teesside any more
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It was good in the eighties.

Fell out with it in the nineties and more recent reports say it's no better.

Going back to about 1997 one big problem was that the car park machine only took tens and fivers, so when a typical Sunday to Friday stay was 27 quid you had to queue to pay a cashier.

A long queue when the deadline was getting home in time to qualify for a Friday night lock-in in your local.

Such deadlines are not to be messed with.

One way to beat the system was to take 15 quid out of the cash machine. Twice.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Manchester is a cattle market - at least that's how it feels. Half way through and I just feel like turning around and going home. The body scanners are being used more and more often now. Soon everyone will need to go through - remove shoes and put them through another scanner. And has anyone done any investigation into any health effects of these scanners?

I really enjoyed Funchal airport. through security in 2 minutes, no body scanners, just like the old days. Walk out of the plane to the terminal and through customs in five minutes.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Don't go via Leeds Bradford, it's like well Soviet, Sheremetyevo revisited...
                  That used to be fine as well.

Though the best way to make sure you got a taxi late at night was to ring your normal local firm in advance and ask them to pick you up. A lot cheaper too.

The Paris flight which stopped at Stansted was to be avoided though.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Manchester. Ewwwww.
                    WHS.

Wet and cold northern tulipehole.

Comment

Working...
                    X