• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Commuting to Isle of Dogs, London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commuting to Isle of Dogs, London

Hello Everyone,

I'm thinking of taking a job on the Isle of Dogs, London and have been trying to work out commuting options. One option that I'm considering is driving down to the Isle of Dogs (I'd be coming in on M11, A14) on Monday morning and staying at a hotel for a few nights (probably travel-inn or something similar). What I'm wondering is has anyone got any experience of doing this? Because I'd be travelling from East Yorkshire, I'd probably be getting into London around 10am. Will I be able to get a parking space on the Isle of Dogs at this time (in an NCP for example) or do they all fill up earlier than this? Also, what is traffic like on M11/A14 around 9-10am?

Thanks

Originally posted by redmonkey View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I'm thinking of taking a job on the Isle of Dogs, London and have been trying to work out commuting options. One option that I'm considering is driving down to the Isle of Dogs (I'd be coming in on M11, A14) on Monday morning and staying at a hotel for a few nights (probably travel-inn or something similar). What I'm wondering is has anyone got any experience of doing this? Because I'd be travelling from East Yorkshire, I'd probably be getting into London around 10am. Will I be able to get a parking space on the Isle of Dogs at this time (in an NCP for example) or do they all fill up earlier than this? Also, what is traffic like on M11/A14 around 9-10am?

Thanks
    If your working in Canary Wharf - do the M11 > A102 & take the Blackwall tunnel saaarf of the river , park in the O2 car park (good non event day rates) and tube it to Canary Wharf (1 stop)

Many moons ago there used to be some interesting graffiti on a wall at the entrance to the IoD
    it said :
    Think carefully - most doctors don't live on the Isle of Dogs
    ...but it was a long time ago (although some of the chipper cockneys still live there)

HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

There are only two roads onto the Isle of Dogs and if there is "an incident" that can cause total gridlock lasting for hours.

If you can park at the O2 and avoid it that is a good idea.

Having said that, I would be more concerned about driving down from East Yorkshire on a Monday morning.

Comment

I rented on the Isle of Dogs for 6 months instead of commuting from Hampshire.

I would rather rent a studio than stay in digs. Also that way you can get a free parking space. Hotel choice round there is limited and expensive unless you stay at Holiday Inn Express or some such and that's soul destroying.

About 3-4 years ago I rented a nice 1 bed with parking, pool and gym for £1350 including bills. I didn't need a 1 bed, could have quite happily managed with a studio. Don't know what rents are like now. It was quite nice to have a swim\work out after work and I played badminton at the local club some evenings as well. Also much easier to eat healthily. I got really fit when I was staying there.

Take a look at the sticky thread about staying away for tips\ideas.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

The Isle of dogs is huge - where will you be based, that will help narrow the search / replies

Have a look at this site too

Traffic - dyer! I ride a motorbike into docklands at around 7:30, and it is busy then!

You can often "hire" a parking space for a resident....

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            I rented on the Isle of Dogs for 6 months instead of commuting from Hampshire.

I would rather rent a studio than stay in digs. Also that way you can get a free parking space. Hotel choice round there is limited and expensive unless you stay at Holiday Inn Express or some such and that's soul destroying.

About 3-4 years ago I rented a nice 1 bed with parking, pool and gym for £1350 including bills. I didn't need a 1 bed, could have quite happily managed with a studio. Don't know what rents are like now. It was quite nice to have a swim\work out after work and I played badminton at the local club some evenings as well. Also much easier to eat healthily. I got really fit when I was staying there.

Take a look at the sticky thread about staying away for tips\ideas.
            WLS

Look into Studio flat rentals, also look at the prospect of staying further out where the rents mat be cheaper.

The rent prices will be going up significantly as you get closer to the olympics
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Look for digs in the likes of Greenwich or Lewisham, take the DLR into Canary Wharf daily.

Alternatively study the Jubilee line stations for other locations, but that line is heaving
              Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

I worked in the docklands a few years ago. I have a place to stay just up the road so I used to get up early and get myself into Bank Street NCP for seven. It used to cost me £25 per day (Bank Street was mostly empty compared to the main car parks).
                My colleague came down from sheffield way. In short forget it unless you are committed to live in London for 6 months or more. He started off saying that he wanted to go home friday night and come down monday but that quickly turned into SOD IT i am staying here the weekend...

Going home just is not worth the effort as you have to travel up and down with the predominant flow of traffic. The M6 is always snarled up around Birmingham. The A14 is a nightmare in the mornings and evenings due to the local Cambridge traffic. Also worth noting that the highway agency are introducing considerable delays in the Kettering Area for the next few years while they try and add toll lanes. bottom of the M11 is a total car park and you need to hit the bottom of the M11 at about 6.00am to get a clear run into the city.

So in short your life will be spent in a studio flat or traveling and unless you are in a really niche skill set your rate wont cover the rent/living costs.

Or you make a commitment and come to live in London and stay Somewhere like Wanstead or Leytonstone with quick links into liverpool street and Docklands.

good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                  I worked in the docklands a few years ago. I have a place to stay just up the road so I used to get up early and get myself into Bank Street NCP for seven. It used to cost me £25 per day (Bank Street was mostly empty compared to the main car parks).
                  My colleague came down from sheffield way. In short forget it unless you are committed to live in London for 6 months or more. He started off saying that he wanted to go home friday night and come down monday but that quickly turned into SOD IT i am staying here the weekend...

Going home just is not worth the effort as you have to travel up and down with the predominant flow of traffic. The M6 is always snarled up around Birmingham. The A14 is a nightmare in the mornings and evenings due to the local Cambridge traffic. Also worth noting that the highway agency are introducing considerable delays in the Kettering Area for the next few years while they try and add toll lanes. bottom of the M11 is a total car park and you need to hit the bottom of the M11 at about 6.00am to get a clear run into the city.

So in short your life will be spent in a studio flat or traveling and unless you are in a really niche skill set your rate wont cover the rent/living costs.

Or you make a commitment and come to live in London and stay Somewhere like Wanstead or Leytonstone with quick links into liverpool street and Docklands.

good luck.

My plan had been to aim to arrive around 10.30am on Monday morning to avoid the early morning traffic, park somewhere near harbour exchange and then drive out to one of the cheaper premier inn type places on an evening and leave my car there until I went back home. I'm also hoping to only have to be on site in London for 3 days (exceptionally 4), which is why it is still worth it for me to go home, I think. Do you reckon it will still be a nightmare if I could get this sort of arrangement? I notice that there's a 500 place NCP car park near harbour exchange - will this fill up really early?

Comment

Working...
                  X