• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The beginning of the end for Cameron?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The beginning of the end for Cameron?

Has Cameron unwittingly scored an own goal?

Does Nick Clegg’s absence signal the genesis of a new coalition? - Telegraph
    I'm alright Jack

What's needed to force a general election? A no confidence vote with a majority of 1?

Clegg does need to grow up, what did he think a coalition would imply?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Is Clegg part of the goverment, i don't think anyone as noticed

Comment

Clegg is bankrupt junior partner.

This coalition bulltulip isn't helping solving real problems in running country - it's almost better if Nu Liebor won again.

Almost.

Comment

No problem with Cleggy. He rightly stayed away to avoid being a massive distraction. And he has to make disapproving noises every now and again to keep libdems happy.

As for Cameron, could be the making of him. First PM for 20 years who hasn't cravenly signed up to everything the EU has put before him.

Comment

Clegg and Lib Dems are finished. Clegg now has to suck up to Europe and hope they reward him with a cushy number in 2015.

Lib Dems will not see power for a generation.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              As for Cameron, could be the making of him. First PM for 20 years who hasn't cravenly signed up to everything the EU has put before him.
              Whether history shows him to be right or wrong, I do admire a PM actually making a tough call.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Firstly I think people in the UK underestimate the influence the EU has on states outside the EU:

Britain is tightly locked into a system of European regulation in which decisions taken in Brussels in setting common standards are also be applied by countries outside the bloc. That even applies to those that have no intention of joining, such as Norway and Switzerland, because their economies are so interlinked with those of EU nations.
                Cameron

I see this first hand in Switzerland. EU rules and regulations dominates their political debate as much as it is in the UK. There are just as many anti-EU sceptics in Switzerland foaming at the mouth that they're selling out, and their economy will be just as much in the sh*te if the Euro implodes as Germany.

Secondly in the UK they underestimate that the UK was up until now highly respected and got an awful lot of concessions so they could stay on board; the rebate springs to mind. The UK isn't in Schengen, but Switzerland is! and that isn't because Switzerland wanted to be.

In other words if the UK were to leave the EU it would change very little indeed, but without the advantage that the UK can shape the debate. The biggest employer in the City is Deutsche Bank and that bank will be affected by Eurozone legislation, regardless of what rules the UK has, just as an example, there are many more.

If you do business in the EU you're affected by the rules, and over 50% of the UK's trade is with the EU, so it's fait a compli, you have to live with it, but surely better to influence it than have it imposed on you.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Clegg and Lib Dems are finished. Clegg now has to suck up to Europe and hope they reward him with a cushy number in 2015.

Lib Dems will not see power for a generation.
                  WHS - Clegg will sit it out no matter how bad it gets because he must realise the next election is the end of his career.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Whether history shows him to be right or wrong, I do admire a PM actually making a tough call.
                    But we don't know yet if it is irrevocable - Most likely behind the scenes EU officials and foreign leaders are still putting pressure on the UK and making offers and this that and the other, and almost as likely (IMHO) that Cameron and co might sneakily start backtracking.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X