• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear, we're falling out of the sky

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear, we're falling out of the sky

Or are we climbing into the stratosphere?

New account of Flight 447 disaster published ? The Register

Print - What Really Happened Aboard Air France 447 - Popular Mechanics

It seems interesting that the right seat can't tell what the left seat is doing with the controls.

Even more interesting that the plane takes an average of the two.

Ho hum.

Let's hope this sort of thing won't happen again.

Yeah.

Right.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 18 May 2017, 14:48.

But I've had the stick back the whole time!
    D'oh!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      D'oh!
      It seems to be an iron law of human nature that the lower your IQ the more you're likely to be an armchair expert.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        It seems interesting that the right seat can't tell what the left seat is doing with the controls.

Even more interesting that the plane takes an average of the two.

Ho hum.

Let's hope this sort of thing won't happen again.

Yeah.

Right.
        Have you seen how an airbus is flown?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Have you seen how an airbus is flown?

Frightening, innit?

Now that's what I call a flight engineer's station (about 35 seconds in).

Now that's a BOMBER! - YouTube

Comment

Good thing it wasn't Ryain Air or they'd have to pay a surcharge for dying on the flight
            Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              That does seem to be a design issue with Airbus. Also, when there are conflicting instructions on the joystick, that the plane averages the two rather than giving some kind of warning that the pilots are giving contradictory instructions.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Considering that they ignored the stall warning for so long, it really does make you wonder.

Shouldn't there be some big red light that shows it's gone from normal mode to feck me, we're going to crash mode?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                  Considering that they ignored the stall warning for so long, it really does make you wonder.

Shouldn't there be some big red light that shows it's gone from normal mode to feck me, we're going to crash mode?
                  you would have though a fecking great bleeper going off for the best part of the flight might already have been a givaway.

Makes for interesting reading though, i can understand one person making a mistake but three trained pilots and only 15 minutes from initial incident to crash

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post

That's why this doesn't add up to me. Even the guy who they say was holding the stick back the whole time had several thousand hours flying time - a big chunk of these will have be as PIC on small plane where his basic flying skills will have become ingrained...

From what I understand FO jobs with the major airlines are incredibly hard to come by. These airlines are able to pick the best and I'd be amazed if they had employed someone who so readily forget their basic skills, no matter how much pressure he was operating under.

Comment

Working...
                    X