• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best and worst places to live in London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best and worst places to live in London

To anyone who has lived in London - what's the best and worst places you have lived.

For me:

Best: Barnes (south of Hammersmith) - but can't afford to buy there. You need to be seriously rich.

Worst: Archway - I had to negotiate the drug dealers on my street when I came home pissed on Fri/Sat evening:rolleyes

Where I am now (Hoxton) is handy but there's not much greenery around.

Worst place = London.

Best place <> London.

Comment

Best is surely Hampstead.

Comment

Seems you can divide the world into 2 types:

(1) The intelligent, lively, dynamic and good-looking people who like London
        (2) The rest

Comment

WS if money ws no object, these are my favourites:

(1) Barnes, by the river
          (2) Chelsea, off King's Road
          (3) Hampstead, by the Heath
          (4) Highgate, off the High Road
          (5) Chiswick

One day, I guess...

Comment

SG, Chelsea and Hampstead are good choices. If you're looking to move west, then there are plenty of nice areas like Hampton, Twickers and Richmond.

Comment

One of the worst places in london has to be Streatham/Mitcham. I bought my first place there many years ago becuase it was the only place I could afford at the time. Streatham it is one of the chepest areas in Zone 3 and rightfully so.

It's posh neighbour Streatham Hill, which was just round the corner, enjoyed lovely tree lined streets with Edwardian terraces and large detached properties branching off the High Road. Streatham and Mitcham, however, had street after street of hideous filth-ridden terraced houses, no tube ... just trains in which the local passengers for some reason preferred to piss on the seats rather than the toilets. Everything about it ... the people, the council, the cars, the shopkeepers, the food was awful ... even the traffic was just feckin horrendous.

The day I sold my house in Streatham was quite easily one of the happiest days of my life.

Comment

All depends on what's important.

Central & younger quieter and more moneyed, village like and secluded, close to the city, great links.

There are a million different variables.

I just bought in Putney, it's close enough to city with great transport, got rivers and parks and still enough action going on to keep you local but potential to raise a family. Works for me

Comment

I just bought in Putney, it's close enough to city with great transport, got rivers and parks and still enough action going on to keep you local but potential to raise a family.
                  The private girls' school in Putney produces some decent totty; added bonus.

Wage in 'remembering Juliette' mode.

Comment

Seems you can divide the world into 2 types:

(1) The intelligent, lively, dynamic and good-looking people who like London
                    (2) The rest
                    Yes 2/ includes the more numerous Thick, rude, sluggish, ugly people who have never been outside of London.

Comment

Working...
                    X