• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear. Plan B goes wrong

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear. Plan B goes wrong

As well as sledges during the Xmas period I had planned to sell Xmas trees last year from my shop. This was until the landlord behind my business gated off the massive car park we shared.

This has been prompted after discussions with a couple of gypos who used to sell trees in a pub nearby. 1500 trees they said they sold in 4 weeks! At £45 a tree!!!

I was not the only one party to the conversation. So was the landlord. And so a Plan B was born...

So said landlord decided to do it himself and told the gypos they would not be using his land this year(even though they'd done it for years). They used to pay him a grand to do it.

Just popped in to the pub. Loads of trees outside. How goes it?

Nightmare MF? Do you want any trees????
    No. I've closed down. Why how many did you buy the guys said they did 1500 per Xmas.

He'd bought 2000! For £50k cash!!!! He's shifted 1/2.
    The gypos pulled up in a layby at the bottom of the road
    before the pub and so they've split the trade!

He's now looking to shift them wholesale but time is running out? Anyone want 1000 trees?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    As well as sledges during the Xmas period I had planned to sell Xmas trees last year from my shop. This was until the landlord behind my business gated off the massive car park we shared.

This has been prompted after discussions with a couple of gypos who used to sell trees in a pub nearby. 1500 trees they said they sold in 4 weeks! At £45 a tree!!!

I was not the only one party to the conversation. So was the landlord. And so a Plan B was born...

So said landlord decided to do it himself and told the gypos they would not be using his land this year(even though they'd done it for years). They used to pay him a grand to do it.

Just popped in to the pub. Loads of trees outside. How goes it?

Nightmare MF? Do you want any trees????
    No. I've closed down. Why how many did you buy the guys said they did 1500 per Xmas.

The gypos pulled up in a layby at the bottom of the road
    before the pub and so they've split the trade!

He's now looking to shift them wholesale but time is running out? Anyone want 1000 trees?
    Tell him to get down to the layby before the gypos do.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

So he's about broken even with 10 days to go (assuming people buy up until Chrimbo day 0). All is not lost?

Comment

Have you seen 'The Black Stuff'?

There's a lesson in there.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          He bought 2000 and he only got the price down to £25/unit? Considering B&Q are selling pretty big douglas fir (the nice long needles not the short spiky ones) for £40, it doesn't sound a great deal. Did he pay up front as well, £50k ouch?!

Hang on even if they're also down the road, can't he advertise them cheap to customers of the pub... after a few pints how hard can it be to sell someone a tree.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The lesson here is. One a gypo tells you 1500. He probably means 1000. So don't buy 2000.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Sounds like selling tulip on high street isn't exactly profitable enterprise.

And for this reason I am out.

Comment

If they've got roots he could sell them online as Carbon offsets.

Carbon Footprint - Pledge A Tree In Your Local Area (UK)

Boomed!

Comment

The local flower shop has a whole load of Xmas trees outside (it's Park Road just up from Baker Street). It seems a very risky business, but I suppose a lot of folk may panic this weekend if they haven't already got their trees.
                  I imagine that by 26 Dec the re-sale value drops to zero?
                  Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

The unit cost of £25 is too high, and for that reason - I'm out.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X