• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"problems with our new accounting dept."

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"problems with our new accounting dept."

I got the following response to my now standard monthly email of "I was due to be paid today, I haven't been" email

Hi Chef,

Unfortunately we have a slight problem with our handover to our new back office/accounting company.

We will make a payment to you today of <exactly 50% of invoiced amount> and the remaining amount will be paid to you next week.

Apologies for the inconvenience
    Regards
    Michelle
    Not impressed.. a reply stating that

- you do realise "problems with new accounting company" is the classic delay tactic or statement made by a company in financial trouble
    - several months ago this exact same statement was made to a good friend of mine who also worked via you which was embarrassing as I had highly reccommended you to him
    - ending with "If you cannot pay me as contractually stated today then as my statutory right interest and compensation will be charged to my next invoice in accordance with the late payment of commercial debts (interest) Act."

I hate it when agencies dont pay on time.. it makes it even worse when it's one I've had a good working relationship with for the last 8 years but only in the last 4 months have they started being 1 day/3days/5days.. late..

arrghhh

3 month extension with client co has been all but approved via the phone today.. a good time to renegotiate the invoice monthly, pay 7 days later payment terms.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Originally posted by chef View Post
    I got the following response to my now standard monthly email of "I was due to be paid today, I haven't been" email

Not impressed.. a reply stating that

- you do realise "problems with new accounting company" is the classic delay tactic or statement made by a company in financial trouble
    - several months ago this exact same statement was made to a good friend of mine who also worked via you which was embarrassing as I had highly reccommended you to him
    - ending with "If you cannot pay me as contractually stated today then as my statutory right interest and compensation will be charged to my next invoice in accordance with the late payment of commercial debts (interest) Act."

I hate it when agencies dont pay on time.. it makes it even worse when it's one I've had a good working relationship with for the last 8 years but only in the last 4 months have they started being 1 day/3days/5days.. late..

arrghhh

3 month extension with client co has been all but approved via the phone today.. a good time to renegotiate the invoice monthly, pay 7 days later payment terms.
    are you working on the accounting systems by any chance?
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Danger Will Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        are you working on the accounting systems by any chance?
        hehe I wish I was and then this "new" accounting system of theirs wouldn't be so flaky as they claim and put my payment right to the top of the list..

Comment

hehe I wish I was and then this "new" accounting system of theirs wouldn't be so flaky as they claim and put my double payment right to the top of the list..
          FTFY
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Your agent calls you Chef???
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Your agent calls you Chef???
              yes, yes he does ..

Comment

<exactly 50% of invoiced amount>

good working relationship with for the last 8 years but only in the last 4 months have they started being 1 day/3days/5days.. late..

Alarm bells are ringing, that's not tinnitus.

If they can pay half they can pay the lot, unless they have cash flow problems.

I'd be demanding weekly or fortnightly invoicing with a max 5 day payment term after invoice, and state that late payment will result in downing of tools. Inform the client of the issues immediately so the agency know you're not bluffing.

Charging late payment interest is no use if they stop paying at all. Try to limit exposure as much as you can then if they go tits up they only steal a few weeks money. If you remain on monthly payment terms and they are in dire straits they will start delaying to 2 or more months and then not pay them all.

I speak from bitter experience.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I'd be very concerned...I had an agency give me that exact excuse a few months back...eventually had to ditch them and go direct with the client. Wonder if it's the same agency or if this is a new agency excuse...

Comment

Dump them stating breach of contract, stay at clientco, ask around among the other contractors to find a solvent agent if you can't go direct. I suspect this will be happening more often in the coming months.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X