• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How Rude!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Rude!

I know this is probably just part of the Contracting fun but this agent calls me up and says...

Agent: I've seen your CV on CWJobs, whats your current salary?
    Me: xxxxxx I'm currently permanent but moving to contracting
    Agent: How much are you looking for?
    Me: xxx
    Agent: WHAT! Thats over double your salary. Way too much for your experience.

BANG - Phone Down

What a complete

By the way, I have over ten years in my field and my asking rate is very average.

Originally posted by GeorgeB View Post
    By the way, I have over ten years in my field and my asking rate is very average.
    Average enough to post your asking rate here for us to advise?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I know this is probably just part of the Contracting fun but this agent calls me up and says...

Agent: I've seen your CV on CWJobs, whats your current salary?
      Me: xxxxxx I'm currently permanent but moving to contracting
      Agent: How much are you looking for?
      Me: xxx
      Agent: WHAT! Thats over double your salary. Way too much for your experience.

BANG - Phone Down

What a complete

Don't tell them your current salary or rate.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Sure...

My skill set is c#, vb.net, sql, asp.net etc etc
        Rate, 300/pd

To be honest, I would probably accept a lot lower just because this is my first contract and I just want to get the contract ball rolling.

Probably worth noting, I dont have finance experience and also not applying for finance jobs. (Although working in finance would be a dream)

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Don't tell them your current salary or rate.

Really? - Just say something like - prefer not to say?

Comment

Sure...

Rate, 300/pd

To be honest, I would probably accept a lot lower just because this is my first contract and I just want to get the contract ball rolling.

Probably worth noting, I dont have finance experience and also not applying for finance jobs. (Although working in finance would be a dream)
            Ask for an hourly rate, not a daily rate; if you do a daily rate they'll screw so-called 'professional days' out of you which means you'll be working umpteen hours a day.

Comment

Really? - Just say something like - prefer not to say?
              Yeah, or just add quite a lot to it before you say it.

Comment

Anyway, twice your salary isn't unreasonable seeing as you'll have to pick up the costs an employer would usually pay. Don't worry about one agent putting the phone down; some of them, correction most of them are complete anyway. Not all are, thankfully. I don't know which UK agents are any good, I do know that I wouldn't touch Progressive with a bargepole.

Comment

Sure...

Rate, 300/pd

Noooooooooooooo no no no
                  noob error - the agents will eat you alive if they sense that
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    Noooooooooooooo no no no
                    noob error - the agents will eat you alive if they sense that
                    Yep, and don't tell them you're new to contracting.

Comment

Working...
                    X