• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investors cash in as gold falls

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investors cash in as gold falls

"The metal is down 8.2pc this week at $1,574 (£1,016) and on course for its first quarterly fall since 2008, when the financial crisis began.

If another round of sell-offs today means the Friday-to-Friday fall exceeds September's 8.6pc drop, market watchers say it would mark a price plunge rivalling those of the early 1980s.

Gold's safe haven status for investors in times of economic turmoil has seen its price hit record highs this year. But, counterintuitively, when conditions turn very negative, the gold price may drop – as seen in the immediate aftermath of Lehman Brothers' failure.

"In a period of liquidity contraction and severe distress, investors need to raise cash and gold prices suffer," said Sabine Schels, head of fundamental commodity research at Bank of America Merrill Lynch. The strong dollar is also weighing on gold, as it encourages people to sell their holdings to take a profit in their own, weaker, currency.

"In September, to a large extent gold performed exactly as it should have," said Suki Cooper, a precious metals analyst at Barclays Capital. "It's been an asset where you can raise cash. The need for liquidity has again pushed the gold price lower."

More from the source: Investors cash in as gold falls - Telegraph

CUK, as per other internet activities can be very addictive (as mentioned earlier). I'd suggest stop posting this tripe and leave it again for a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by sqlash View Post
      CUK, as per other internet activities can be very addictive (as mentioned earlier). I'd suggest stop posting this tripe and leave it again for a bit.
      ...Moths to a flame
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Another brilliant buying opportunity as banks scrabble to sell everything to stave of collapse.

I'm ordering £10K worth of gold sovereigns and brittanias. CGT free.

Comment

What if countries do the same? Well, those countries with any substantial gold reserves.

Wouldn't prices collapse even further? Looking at recent historical prices it seems the gold price was very static for decades and only in the last few years has it shot up.

I think I'll chicken out again, I never win on this gambling lark.

If there's any special gold sovereigns for next year's Jubilee can we pre-order them now at knock down prices? Not sure how desirable they may be for collectors in the future but got to be worth a bit more than just pure gold.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
          X