• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House prices: What will 2012 mean for the housing market?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House prices: What will 2012 mean for the housing market?

"Property prices can be a depressing subject for both home owners and those looking to get a foot on the property ladder. In fact, while estate agents Knight Frank have estimated that the average house prices in the UK will have actually risen by 1.3pc by the end of 2011, with inflation currently at 5pc, property values are falling in real terms.

We asked industry experts for their predictions for what 2012 would mean for the housing market. "

I think house prices will fall by 5pc over the first half of the year and then flat line over the second half. I believe there is a significant risk that house prices could fall more than this given the current weakness of the economy and worrying outlook.

Furthermore, we believe there are serious downside risks to this forecast and that house prices could well fall by more than 5pc given the current deteriorating economic situation and outlook.

We suspect that squeezed household purchasing power, a markedly weakening labour market and major concerns over the economic outlook will limit potential buyers and weigh down on house prices. And there is significant concern that banks' future ability to lend to homebuyers could be hit by difficult wholesale funding conditions. These factors are seen outweighing the support to house prices coming from extended very low interest rates. "

Source: House prices: What will 2012 mean for the housing market? - Telegraph

Crasy already FFS, just signed 12 months rent extension!

It means you best wait a bit to buy your flat matey.

Comment

How can house prices be depressing for both the seller and and the buyer?
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

What u want to do is buy a BTL property which has planning permission to build another house getting then plot for significantly less than it's worth.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          How can house prices be depressing for both the seller and and the buyer?
          Easy.

Prices are lower than sellers would like to see (ie: less than 100% annual increase), yet they are still too high for buyers to afford it.

Comment

House prices only ever go up... fill yer boots, you can't lose...........

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
              House prices only ever go up... fill yer boots, you can't lose...........
              yeah, of course they will...........

Comment

Don't know, and don't care, i rent my current house for £595 a month (split between two) and it's worth 350k. Happy to live in other peoples houses whilst saving a massive amount to buy a decent house with no tulip neighbours. If anyone wants any advice on renting mansions for peanuts give us a shout.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanilla View Post
                  Don't know, and don't care, i rent my current house for £595 a month (split between two) and it's worth 350k. Happy to live in other peoples houses whilst saving a massive amount to buy a decent house with no tulip neighbours. If anyone wants any advice on renting mansions for peanuts give us a shout.
                  Exactly, couldn't agree more - quality of life matters most.

Comment

Originally posted by sqlash View Post
                    yeah, of course they will...........
                    That was sarcasm, but clearly you missed it.

Comment

Working...
                    X